KV undermount

I tried the Blum undermount for a drawer that I had planes in. It was nice, but expensive.
I am now thinking it would be nice to use the KV undermounts on my desk that I am making.
They seem nice too but I noticed that both the blum and kv drill jigs are way over priced . What the hell... a piece of plastic with some steel inserts for 50 to 100 bucks ..
If you want to sell many slides why would you overprice the jig? wouldn't you reasonably price the jig? And have many good installations, so the product shines?
--
Jeff

The KV jig is handy but not anywhere near necessary, so don't let it stop you from using the KV undermounts.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

woodchucker wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------- My guess is based on the number of units required to meet the market needs, they are not making any money on the jig.
It's just one of those PITA add-on's needed to complete the product line.
Who knows, they might entertain an offer of you becoming their supplier for the jigs.
Lew

Years ago the shaving razor manufacturers gave away the handle so you would then buy the blades to go in them.
Now, diabetics can get the electronic testing equipment free because the manufacturers know you have to buy the test strips that fit them.
You would think the jig would be a giveaway or at least minimal cost.
On 4/19/2013 10:51 AM, EXT wrote:

Give the jig away and you give it away with each slide purchase, just in case the buyermay not be able to find his when he gets home. That would be expensive.
As for razor and test strips the profit margins are by reasonable assumption a very very profitable items. Hardly no material involved at all. Slides OTOH are much more expensive to ship because of weight and are much more involved in the manufacturing process.
I mail order receive my test strips for 15 cents each. The last time I bought them in the drugstore they were about $1.00 each.
On 4/19/2013 11:51 AM, EXT wrote:

Exactly. minimal... it makes there product look good to be installed correctly and accurately.
--
Jeff

On 4/18/2013 11:45 PM, Swingman wrote:

I agree, I didn't need it for the blum, but I am shocked that these companies would charge so much for something that would make them look good. Its a freaking piece of plastic.
--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

------------------------------------------------------ Ever price a piece of plastic, especially the engineered stuff?
Don't forget, that piece of plastic started life as a barrel of crude.
Alternate energy anybody?
Lew

If you are making a living selling and installing these slides the jig will pay for itself in short order. If you are installing these slides occasionally you don't need the jig.