Kitchen Worktop Jig

Page 1 of 2
Hi all Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced jig, I will probably only use it once or twice hence unwilling to pay too much for it and does anyone have good advice on using it? I expect if I can get one I will practice on excess material first , but I would appreciate any advice (especially any instructions) on using this type of Jig,, PS I am fairly new to this but please bear with me , I know it is a tricky operation but I am willing to try it.
--
Regards Ron...........

Hi,
If you're in UK,
www.screwfix.com
Cheers
Frank

Ummm did you understand what kind of jig he is looking for???

Fri, Apr 16, 2004, 9:30pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) asks: Ummm did you understand what kind of jig he is looking for???
Not at all. But that's still not gonna stop some people from advising him.
JOAT I will feel equality has arrived when we can elect to office women who are as unqualified as some of the men who are already there. - Maureen Reagan
(Leon)

----------- If he is in the UK the advice was good.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 497&tsX507

he must be. I haven't the slightest idea what he's talking about, trying to parse his question using USA terminology....
even looking at that jig (which I'd call a template) on the screwfix site I still haven't a clue.
umm... anybody care to clue us here in the US in?
thanks     Bridger
Bridger:

Part of the problem is in the BritSpeak. There's an assumption made by the speaker/writer (the UKer) that the lack of werds and Inglish aren't a hinderance to us here in the colonies. Of course the same is true of some people this side of the 'Lantic but it's usually hidden in between them telling their life story when asking a simple question like, "How do I bring two counter tops together using a hidden fastener?"

Technically it's a jig though the line between jig and fixture does cloud/gray (grey David) a wee bit from time to time/item to item.

The guy is looking for a jig/fixture to rout Tite Joint fasteners.
http://www.mcfaddens.com/Catalogue/Industrial_Hardware/KV516_517.htm
By The Way: Tite Joint fasteners are a pretty good substitute for barrel nuts when making things like a fixing between bed rails and bed posts. If the puny diameter scares you it's simply a matter of upping the screw (bolt) size and using T-nuts. My Go To Hell Door Bench is put together with 3/8" hex head cap screws and T-nuts and it's rock solid. The best part though is the bench can be broken down into a top, two ends and a couple of back rails and transported easily and reassembled without any great strain.
UA100

--------- It does a little more than that. See: http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/library/Instruction_Manuals/combi1002man.pdf
If you just want a jig/fixture for the connectors you can get one quite cheaply, only then it's called a template. No I don't know why (over here it's customary to blame any strange quirks in our language on the French)
The all singing all dancing jigs (whatever) are not aimed at the DIYer as you seldom fit a new kitchen for yourself. So they are very robust and designed to survive a long life with tradesman. (who will probably do a much better job than most DIYers anyway)
So how do you guys fit these kitchen worktops?
scribbled:

Get them cut & edged at the local borg or a kitchen cabinet supplier. (90, 45 or 22.5 degree cuts only) They'll also do the mortises for the bolts. Caulking along the back to hide the gap along the wall if it's not straight/square.
Of course, Leon. A kitchen worktop jig is a routing template which normally allows kitchen worktops to be jointed in an L, T or U configuration. It basically forms a butt joint, but the short 45 degree-angled section of the main slot cuts the rounded nose of the worktop into a neat "mason's mitre" in the corner.
The dumbell-shaped slots in the template are used for inletting the special bolts used for tightly pulling the joint together.
They're very common here in UK, and I find it hard to believe that you don't have something similar in the US. You probably call them something else. A nation who would call an inlet patch repair a "Dutchman" is capable of anything :)))
Cheers the noo!
Frank

Good on ya Frank!
--
Regards Ron...........
"Frank McVey" < snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

What operation? What kind of jig?
Please note that to us a jig is something entirely different than a jig saw.
Frank
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:45:17 +0100, "Baalrog"

can you describe in more detail what it you are trying to do?
I believe the "jig in question" is a routing template to allow fasteners to attach two 45 degree mitres(kitchen countertops, etc.). I'm learnin' everyday. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....
Jigs are usually found between Reels and Hornpipes. For a 'kitchen worktop' one, the best I can find is:
I'm Polly the scullery maid. I'm Polly the Scullery maid! I scrubbed through the finish... It was stained by some spinach.
I'm Polly the Scullery Maid. {toot][toot]
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 08:41:40 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) brought forth from the murky depths:

Crikey, Bawb, have you found (& gotten into) Tawm's stash?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora * http://www.diversify.com

Close, but no Seegar.
Somebody else suggested that Olive Oyl might help.
hahah sooo funny! (not)
--
Regards Ron...........
"Robert Bonomi" < snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com> wrote in message
-

the fitting of kitchen worktops, making a neat mitre / routing the clamp bolt groves etc! Regards Ron...........
Baalrog wrote:

Ron...
If you'll send me a DXF of the template (er... jig) I'll send you the jig cut out of tempered hardboard - almost certainly not as durable as the 99 version; but certainly good for "once or twice".
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA