Kitchen Remodel Project

Hi Guys, been really busy with this remodel for the last few months and have asked for advice on some aspects of the build, like installing rope molding. Anyway the remodel is pretty much done except for some small pickup work. If anyone is interested in seeing the progress, here's the link.

evodawg

Great work! I hope you got paid a ton, because you did a super job.

The only thing that made me look twice and say, "hmmm," were the cabinet doors that encase the stove exhaust fan.

Are they functional? Honestly not criticizing, here.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Criticism is welcomed. The cabinet doors are functional but you couldn't get much in there. The exhaust fan (very expensive gage fan design and very very quiet) takes up most of the space and the customer chose the design. I remodeled the whole house, so overall I did very well dollar wise. A spacer is still needed on the end Pantry Cabinet. I didn't use scribe molding on the end cabinets where they meet the wall. I scribed the spacers and the customer couldn't believe how well they meet the wall with no gaps. I don't like to use scribe moldings, would much rather have the finished look against the walls.

Thanks for the compliment

Reply to
evodawg

evo- I think your project looks great! The work looks outstanding to me, and I am sure your clients are very pleased. Nicely done!

Like MIKE, I am not sure about the doors over the vent hood, but it may just be because I haven't seen it before. When you think about it, decorating choices to deal with the vent hood appearance aren't plentiful. Still looks nice, though.

A couple of questions:

- Where did the cabinets come from? They don't look custom, but they don't look "homecenter" either.

- Did you light the tops of the kitchen uppers where they are down from the ceiling? I did that for a client, and they selected a low voltage LED rope that kind of glows over the cabinets. Makes a nice accent. On my last redo, I put motion sensitive under cabinet lights, and the clients REALLY liked them. Battery powered, they turned them on with a wave of the hand and they stay on for 15 minutes after the last motion is detected. No additional charge for wiring since they are battery powered by AA batteries!

- Are you allowed (by code) to drain the attic AC vent into a lavatory drain pipe? I had heard that many cities are moving away from that and want it drained into a toilet drain so that the drainage is flushed out (no pun intended) with more water, more frequently than it would be from a lav sink.

Once again, nice work.

Robert

P.S.: I must say I was looking for a closeup of the rope molding details, though... ;^)

Reply to
nailshooter41

it then either. Just bends my brain to see doors like that. There are many other ways to deal with that. That is my only minor comment. The rest looks well-done and totally professional. What make is the kitchen sink?

Reply to
Robatoy

Thanks and you're right there isn't a lot of choice when dealing with a vent hood.

They're Kraft Maid, this is the second kitchen Ive done with them and they are a decent cabinet. You need to inspect them when they arrive. Some were damaged or scratched but they replaced them with no argument.

I didn't but there is an outlet above the tall pantry cabinets and I think the customer is going to do that at a later date. The recess in the ceiling does have rope lighting around it's inner perimeter.

That's a good idea. The one I did are controlled by a switch on the back splash.

The heating/AC guy did that and he was licensed, so I would expect it is within code.

Yeah I need to get a picture of that. It disappears in the overall picture. In person it stands out and looks great! Thanks, the customer loves it.

Reply to
evodawg

It's silestone along with the counters. The customers are really anal and have big time problems with dust and bacteria. The Silestone has no pores where bacteria can embed themselves. It has a slightly rough surface but cleans really well. I know it cost a ton of money.

Reply to
evodawg

Wow. You do good work.

Reply to