Remodel Project Plan

Hello All, Looking for a little friendly advice. I=92m currently in the process demoing a two bedroom first floor apartment unit (1,000sqft) with gas hookup, 100A service. To date this is what has been done =96 entire unit has been brought down to studs, service updated from a 60A to 100A panel, all knob & tube has been removed (house is in New England circa 1880). I=92m looking for people=92s approaches for remodeling project plans. I have done this level of work in the past I=92m just curious what people approaches are and why to certain aspects of remodeling. I know some people like putting wood floors in, then having drywall hung, taped and sanded, then have the floors finished etc. Others prefer another plan of attack.

Again to clarify everything in this unit is being redone =96 new heating system, flooring, electrical, plumbing etc. I guess for all intent I could just follow a new home construction project plan but again people like to deviate in new construction as well.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing your thoughts!

Reply to
Mike P

Again to clarify everything in this unit is being redone ? new heating system, flooring, electrical, plumbing etc. I guess for all intent I could just follow a new home construction project plan but again people like to deviate in new construction as well.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing your thoughts!

I would want to make the bedrooms the right size with closets. Getting the proper bathroom layout is important. Get the walls in the right place.

Reply to
Pat

Most people use a floor these days that come in pre-finished. (Pergo type product or real wood). That way you can install it after everything else is done.

We just did a bathroom remodel and I laid the whole thing out with a chair for the toilet and a big box for the vanity. That way you can actually walk the plan for a while to see how it seems to work.

We chalked the shower out on the floor.

Reply to
gfretwell

Looking for a little friendly advice. I?m currently in the process demoing a two bedroom first floor apartment unit (1,000sqft) with gas hookup, 100A service. To date this is what has been done ? entire unit has been brought down to studs, service updated from a 60A to 100A panel, all knob & tube has been removed (house is in New England circa 1880). I?m looking for people?s approaches for remodeling project plans. I have done this level of work in the past I?m just curious what people approaches are and why to certain aspects of remodeling. I know some people like putting wood floors in, then having drywall hung, taped and sanded, then have the floors finished etc. Others prefer another plan of attack.

Again to clarify everything in this unit is being redone ? new heating system, flooring, electrical, plumbing etc. I guess for all intent I could just follow a new home construction project plan but again people like to deviate in new construction as well.

*One thing that I am now taking into consideration when I do renovations is accessibility. The baby boomers are coming and will be needing a home that is easy to function in. I'm one of them.

In the bathroom install an ADA compliant toilet and put an electrical outlet in for a bidet toilet seat. Install bars in the shower. Make the light switches low enough so that someone in a wheelchair can reach them. Use drawers for your kitchen cabinets. There are web sites that offer advice on being ADA compliant, but I have a wheelchair leftover from my grandmother that I use to make my own assessment of how to make life easier.

Some of my elderly customers moved to a new 55 and older complex a few miles down the road. I was surprised to see that the builder did not do much to add accessibility to each unit. One couple called me last week to get estimates to change the switches which are at 46" center to Decora style and to install an outlet for a bidet seat. The wife has Lou Gehrig's disease and has difficulty lifting her arms.

Reply to
John Grabowski

I moved a walk-in closet door from a west wall to the south wall in a master bath. In that opening I made a door sized medicine cabinet. Used some supply containers to help judge the shelving space. For the trim I used crown molding (weirdo cuts) but nothing like a flat door trim. Then had wall-wall cabinets made and installed for the closet. Before you had to enter the bathroom to get inside the closet. Now it is in the BR.

(One day I'll put doors on the medicine cabinet)

Reply to
Oren