Kitchen musings..... shelving vs. cabinets, notions of design....

Page 8 of 9
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:37:45 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

Supurb landscapes! I saw an exhibition of his work at the National Gallery of Art in D.C. a couple of years ago. The actual paintings will knock you out.
I used Rob's work because some of it relates to Picasso's early paintings more closely.
--
Ed Huntress

And because he's a good shot?? LOL
I can't cite the exact Picasso painting, drawing, but whatever it was showed superb draftsmanship -- at least to me. It showed that this was not some guy riding the Pop Cultural Magic Carpet Ride, 'spressin hisself -- he really knows what he's doing. Dali is another one, iirc.
Andy Warhol was another -- he actually eked out a good living as a working commercial artist -- cereal boxes'n'shit.... Very inneresting bio. Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side was in fact about Warhol's li'l cabal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walk_on_the_Wild_Side_(Lou_Reed_song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ88oTITMoM

--
EA

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 13:01:18 -0500, "Existential Angst"

I thought I'd include that because Gary Cooper once gave Picasso a revolver. <g>
http://dangerousminds.net/comments/photo_of_pablo_picasso_holding_gary_coopers_gun

Dali was a great draughtsman.

Oh, yeah. I was a Village Crawler in those days. I was a big Velvet Underground fan...well, a Nico fan.
--
Ed Huntress

I thought I liked Mary Travers until we followed PP&M around to make a music video of them to circulate on the 16mm art house circuit.
I started prowling the Village on weekends off from Ft Monmouth in 1970 and missed that scene. I ignored two fine musicals I later worked on, 1776 and Jacques Brel, because I didn't like the names. (kicks self)
The USO even had free tickets to them. I must have been the only GI in New York then who liked theatre, because those were the only free tickets they always still had.

EA's intelligence and education peek through sometimes, as when he discusses chemistry.
Kanye West is a good example of an upper-middle-class A student who purposely misrepresents themselves to gain street acceptance. His mother chaired the English Department at Chicago State University.
Jim Wilkins wrote:

He must have done that after he was killfiled. All I've ever seen were his mindless rant, and got I quite tired of them.
Ed Huntress wrote:

Yes. If you haven't seen it and get a chance to do so, the Dali Museum in St. Petersberg, FL has a great collection.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Yeah, I saw it around 25 years ago. And Dalis show up from time to time in the big NYC museums, which I've seen several times.
The work is impressive. The art -- or what it says about Dali's mind -- is...a little scary. <g>
--
Ed Huntress

In the late 60's I was the technical assistant to an artist-filmmaker who looked like Warhol, but better, and somewhat imitated the Factory in an apartment house populated by all his entourage. I was more-or-less Billy Name, with the theatre friends, minus the drugs which they respected their brains too much to use.
I left when their side became too wild for me.
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Yep. And many early music groups had advanced degrees in music (The Limelighters, etc.).

Many? Please..... You'd be hardpressed to find rock'n'rollers with ANY degrees in ANYthing, much less in music per se. I'll bet that 50% of rock'n'rollers didn't graduate HS. An ADVANCED degree?? ie, MS, PhD?? Are you KIDDING????
If I'm wrong, I"d enjoy hearing your cites. And the irony to that is we then have to listen to GED bullshit philosophies on love and life, recorded for all of eternity, for the rest of our miserable lives.
Speaking of which, Jim Morrison (Doors) *did* finagle a degree in theatre/fine arts, and was widely read in philosophy. YET, the sum total of the cultural impact of the Doors was this: Every post-pubescent female in the USA, Japan, and Germany were dreaming of, vying to fellate Jim Morrison. If you don't believe me, conduct your own poll. Get your wife drunk, and ask her.... Mine still denies it, but I know she's lyin.... lol Well, mebbe not.... but Engelbert Humperdink, f'sure f'sure.... lol Heh, and proly 25% of the male population dreamed of fellating Morrison, as well.... lol
A few instrumentalists studied formally, for a while, but few actually graduated, as the demands of performing (at least for the really talented) prevailed. Examples are Al Hirt (Green Hornet theme, one of THE virtuoso displays in trumpeting), Jacques Loussier (Play Bach, stunning rendition of Vivaldi's Four Seasons).
But formal study was rare in rock'n'roll. I mean, really, yer playin I-IV-V, I-IV-VI all fukn day long..... what's to study???? Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) I don't think ever even changed key.
Billy Joel was classically trained in piano, as was Elton John, but neither, to my knowledge, had music degrees. Jeff Goldblum, in his clown role replacement of Vincent D'Onofrio in LawnOrder, is apparently quite the accomplished jazz pianist, but not formally trained.
That Jacques Loussier, Al Hirt et al did not gradurate is of course moot. My point being, mostly, that you and Jim Wilkins may have a pernt, but you shouldn't OVERstate your case..
And Al Hirt could blow that pompous academic wannabe Wynton Marsalis clear out of Lincoln Center, into New Jersey.....
Billy Joel, btw, has a brilliant command of the "rock'n'roll" lexicon. In a recent and lengthy interview on NPR/WNYC, at a piano, he could bang out, at will, it seemed, the full arrangement of a wide variety of tunes, seemingly impromptu.
I'm sure some in the Moody Blues were classically trained, but proly didn't obtain degrees.
And Louis Armstrong could barely read music. Go figger.
Ultimately, talent is talent. Can trad'l/formal education tweak it? Sure. But apparently, it's not necessary. Esp. if the bulk of your repertoire is I-IV-V chords, fergodsakes....
But back to Jim Wilkins: I didn't know I wrote like e.e. cummings..... Thank you -- I coulda did worse, eh?
--
EA

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 10:03:11 -0500, "Existential Angst"

There are a few. Brian May is an astrophysicist.

No, you really don't "have to" but you like whining too much to turn it off.
<more EA claptrap snipped>

Brian May is an extraordinary example -- altho, technically speaking, he didn't get his PhD until 2007 -- well after Queen et al. Still, very unique.... and thus, one out of.... how many musicians??? So once again, you miss the point.

Oh, believe me, I turn it off. But whining is so much fun.
Speaking of whining, and pining, you are pining away for Jim Morrison, eh? Yeah, I understand.....

Yet still, you READ it!! And with very little comprehension, very little to contribute. Altho, Brian May was a good one. Mebbe you can fellate him, since Jim is proly perty corroded by now....
--
EA

Marc Knopfler (Dire Straits, Sultans of Swing) is another inneresting case. No PhD in physics, but he got a BS in englich, and was a working stiff for some time before getting seriously involved in music. VERY informal training, yet he is ranked in the various Great Guitarists lists, and Sultans of Swing is in, iirc, the top 100 (or so) of the RS's top 500 hits of all time. A distinctly unique song, lyric, very rare lyric form, consisting of a bit of a lengthy, *unrepeated* verse.
And I am sure there are "many others", but still statistically dwarfed by the successful ilitirits in pop, jazz, and esp. rock'n'roll.
Actors/Actresses seem to be a different story. Altho not rife with PhDs, there seems to be more countable examples of academic achievement there. Judd Hirsch (Taxi) has a BSME, Dolph Lundgren a MS in Chem. E (MIT, iirc), James Wood is 1 course short of a BS/Math (MIT), quite a few non-technical degrees running around out there.
In sports: George (The Animal) Steele (prof. wrestler) sposedly had a PhD in Englich Lit (and would tear the padding off the turnbuckles apart with his teeth), Dick Barnett (Knicks) a PhD in psychology, Bill Bradley (Knicks) Rhodes Scholar (with Clinton), and the Klitchko Bros (recent or current Russian boxing champs) have PhD's in exercise physiology.
The reason for the dearth of academic accomplishment in musicians is, as far as moi can surmise is, is that music requires a highly developed part of the brain, which often exists "at the expense" of other parts of the brain. In addition, it often requires total creative immersion, quite at odds with the (often bullshit) academic ""experience"". WHich is not at all to say that musicians are less academically capable -- proly quite the opposite, given the correlation with music, math and physics -- but that the artistic drive is likely exclusionary.
Acting, otoh, is essentially a higher order emotional aberration, a kind of low-level functional sociopathy, high-level narcissism, which happens to benefit from a mainstream socialization process (read: college and college partying), before it veers off into a well-paid insanity (well, well-paid for some).
And Le Pubic fuels this like an barely-controlled nuclear reaction. This is, imo, part and parcel of our economic demise. If you are so confused as to worship an utterly useless celebrity, HTF can you poss. vote wisely, or manage yer money??
--
EA

> --

http://www.thebestcolleges.org/doctors-of-rock-10-musicians-with-phds/
Mick Jagger is alleged to be a graduate of the London School of Economics.
http://www.mickjaggerbiography.com/the-new-york-post-reviews-jagger-by-marc-spitz/
I believe Art Garfunkel has a degree in math and Lou Reed one in English.
--
Bobby G.

On 2/22/2013 10:11 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I've always enjoyed Picasso's work but his later works look as though he discovered psychedelic mushrooms since LSD hadn't been synthesized in those days. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

This is your brain.
This is your brain on crap.

And a hypercritical one who is outraged when they get it back.

but, but........I'm right and everybody else just doesn't understand me<sarcasm off>

PKB