Kitchen Corner Cabinet solution

I could be wrong , but I took the OP to mean that (s)he already has the cabinet and is looking for plans for "retro-fit" shelving system, like this sweet unit, but a tad less expensive:
http://www.kitchensource.com/pantry/ful-ksh6117.htm
Correct, DD. "He" already has the cabinet filled with a mountain of pots, pans, lids, etc with very little degree of organization.
Purchasing anything over $100 is not in my plans when I believe I can make something a better fit for about the same or less.
One idea is to have a sliding shelf system on a slightly raised platform for the rear. The front (in front of door opening) would have a sliding system to come straight out, but the trick is to get it to pivot to allow clearance for the rear sliding system. The raised platform for the rear would allow the track to hover over the front track system or, an idea of mounting front tracks on the side of the cabinet (one higher and one lower) then pivoting when extended.
SBH wrote:

Never waste that kind of space in a boat galley.
Turn the space into bins with access from the counter top.
Lew

I wrote:

Think of a round plastic bin like a waste basket, say 12" dia at top flange.
Cut 12" dia hole in counter in a dead area space, drop in basket, the fab a lid to cover basket opening and transition to balance of counter top.
Could be done with retangular bins depending on existing geometry.
Bins could be fabricated with ply and laminate.
Cover from Corian or equal to match balance of countertop.
The only limitation is you basically are limited to light weight items for storage in a deep bin.
HTH
Lew

Gotchya. But it'll also resort to losing counter space, wouldn't it?
"SBH" wrote:

=======================Not if you recess the cover flush with the counter top.
Lew

Please see my related response a few posts up.
How do you remove a flush cover? By a recessed handle, I assume...after you move the stuff off of the counter.
In my case, that would be the microwave.
BTW...wouldn't that recessed handle (and seam) collect all sorts of kitchen counter related "dirt" and be tough to clean?
"DerbyDad03" wrote:
-------------------------------- How do you remove a flush cover? By a recessed handle, I assume...after you move the stuff off of the counter.
In my case, that would be the microwave.
Make sure you lash it down before you hoist the mainsail.
Lew

re "The only limitation is you basically are limited to light weight items"
That's certainly not the "only" limitation.
1 - This might solve the issue with the upper shelf of the blind cabinet, but it won't help for the lower shelf. Very few people will be able to remove something from the bottom of a 30" deep bin.
2 - You lose that area of counter for any type of "permanent" storage. For example, in my case, that corner is the best place for our microwave and baking-supplies canisters.
3 - Ignoring my situation above, and assuming a different counter configuration that leaves that counter open for normal kitchen use, you're going to have seams and handle openings associated with the cover. That sounds like a cleaning nightmare to me.
So it seems to me that one would either need to move items every time they wanted something from the "top shelf" only or they would have to deal with the seam and handle gaps if they use that area of the counter or that area of the counter would be wasted if unused.
Unless I'm missing something (since I'm basing this on how my kitchen is laid out) there doesn't seem to enough of an advantage to outweigh the disadvantages.
On 2/18/2010 8:00 PM, SBH wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&pC657&cat=3,43648,43653&ap=2
No matter what I came up with it always had too much wasted space to make it worthwhile, plus the fact that it will eventually break. I bought a Lazy Susan kit from Lee Valley. The term KISS makes a lot of sense sometimes.
LdB
FYI...I found this site with a solution to the blind corner cabinet (4 pictures) which is exactly how I envisioned my idea with exception to making the front drawer slide, then pivot. The cabinet configuration is EXACTLY how my cabinet is built.
http://www.pulloutcabinets.com/
On 2/19/2010 9:05 PM, SBH wrote:

http://www.pulloutcabinets.com/2008/03/03/blind-corner-solution /
Very nice, and elegant, solution ...
Thanks for the update. You can teach an old dog new tricks. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
SBH wrote:

I have been dealing with a kitchen design that bega for three corner cabinets or a better solution.
I generally favor the diagonal front base cabinets as I fabricate my own counters and can turn a corner with a single 4x8 05 5x10 sheet of goods - avoiding the corner seam.
But they have some new post-formed counters at HD and Lowes of late that got me thinking of replacing the "corner" base and wall cabinets with a tall pantry another poster mentioned in this thread. But, where that one suggested a slinding door, I figured the diagonal front would do nicely enough - though both of the "solutions" traded in 4 SF of counter real estate.for the accessible storage.
The diagonal front provides an opening about 18" wide. I suspect that the interior shelving could be designed with a "pull out" center section on fully extensible sliders.
Illuminating the interior might be neatly accomplished with a fixture in the inside front above the door opening operatd by a switch activated by the opening of the door.
I'm still debating the idea as, one on each end of a 10' wide kitchen space is "a bit much" and may make the space feel altogether too small and confined.
But, being able to use simple seamless sections of ready-made post- formed mica counters does have its attractions.