Corner Cabinet Rear Leg

I've been a lurker for years and enjoy reading the posts on this newsgroup.

I'm building a corner cabinet that has a face frame and plywood sides. I'm having a problem figuring out how to join the two plywood sides at the back corner. I can't picture how to clamp the sides together since they meet at a 90 degree angle.

The cabinet will have shelves so I want the inside of the cabinet to be as clean as possible.

Anyone have an idea?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

"Bob" wrote

Take a look at the below, see if helps, or gives you any ideas ...let me know here if I can answer any questions:

Swingman

Bob wrote in news:3e169c15-01c9-4d3c-82f6- snipped-for-privacy@t18g2000prt.googlegroups.com:

Brads until the glue dries.

I think I'd use corner clamps at the ends, and pipe clamps in the middle. The boards would be pulled tight against each other making your connection.

This won't work if they were cut at a 45, for that your only option might be biscuits or screws.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

A combination of cabinet and boat building if you want a sharp corner.

If truncated corners are acceptable, then Swing's approach.

This assumes the sides are at least 1/2 ply. Could be 3/8 but more trouble cutting smaller rabbets)

Cut a 1/4 rabbet in each ply piece.

Interlock rabbets together to insure a straight edge, then clamp short blocks on each end along with a diagonal braces at each end, clamped in place to insure 90 degree corner.

Get some 4" wide, fiberglass tape and some epoxy.

Flip unit into position outside corner up, to work on outside corner, then cut 3-4 pieces of tape about 4" long and epoxy them equally spaced on outside corner.

When cured, remove clamps that are in the way and epoxy a full length piece of fiberglass tape to secure the entire length of corner.

When cured, flip over so inside corner is up, then glass the entire inside corner with another piece of fiberglass tape.

When cured, sand lightly to remove any drips.

SFWIW, have built battery boxes for a boat that hold 300 lbs of batteries with no problems using this approach.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Assuming that the outside sides won't show and that they are at least 1/2" thick...

  1. Butt the edge of one piece against the side of the other
  2. Hold in place with pipe clamps

  1. Drill through the face of one side into the edge of the other and glue in 1/4 - 3/8 dowels every 6" or so.

  2. Cut off any protrusion of the dowels after glue dries

Note that I didn't suggest you should take great care in assuring that the pieces are at 90 degrees to each other. They *should* be in the ballpark but absolute precision isn't really necessary because it is very unlikely that the two walls where the cabinet will go are square. To fix that wall irregularity, just set the cabinet in place as well as it will go (before making the face frame) and adjust the face frame width as necessary.

Another alternative is to put the cabinet where it is to go before making the face frame and spring the cabinet sides in/out as necessary by increasing/decreasing the width of the face frame.

Either way, you may have to spile the FF edges to the wall.

Reply to
dadiOH

I've posted a couple of pictures of how I clamped up my corner cabinet's carcase. tomeshew.spaces.live.com They're in the new "jigs and fixtures" album. Thanks again to RayV. HTH

Reply to
tom

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 00:56:56 +0100, Bob wrote (in article ):

Umm.. would a box / comb or even dovetail joint be feasible? Nice clean interior corner and strong as they come...

If it's too long to do joinery, rabbett a length of angle iron into the outside of the corner?

Reply to
Bored Borg

This site has good price for many products. I have used it many time

ftug489