I'm not sure if I've posted this particular link before, or just one very similar. You can make the parts, and let a kid glue it together; or have the kid help make it; or a kid can pretty easily make the whole thing on his/her own.
Make one, nice finish, line with felt, and viola, a expensive, hand-made, jewelry box, for your wife. LOL
JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Fret