kevlar glove that is chisel proof?

The same hand has taken two slices from a chisel in the last year, both times the wood has failed which allowed me to travel at high velocity through my index finger knuckles.
Besides holdng EVERY little pare in a vice, I'm looking for a kevlar glove which is not open knit (like most carving gloves) and for one that is heavy enough to stop a pretty fast moving japanese chisel.
Alan
Don't know if it would work, but I use kevlar gloves for waterskiing. The palms and inside finger grips are rough surface kevlar for a sure grip on the handle. They might provide some protection provided that you always hold the workpiece with your palm facing the tool edge. they may also scratch the workpiece.
I'd have to say I would probably not do it the way you are doing it (although I do not know what you are working on, and perhaps hand-holding is the only way to control the cut on some fine carvings). I like to just butt the end of a workpiece against a board clamped in the vise as a stop for most chiseling. Makes for fast position changes.
arw01 wrote:

Kevlar won't stop chisels. Flexible Kevlar certainly won't - if you _must_ have a glove that can do this, then you need scales of rigid armour.
Aramid fibres are _much_ over-rated as protection against low energy sharp objects like knives, owing to the basic mechanism by which they work. Great for higher energies, but they're just not "strong" at this scale.
I'm also suspicious of the need for such a glove anyway. Basic rules of carving are that you don't leave body parts in the trajectory, not that you armour up and stab yourself anyway.The loss of dexterity of such a glove also increases the risk of a slip.

Butchers chainmail glove might work, where as kevlar will not.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Instead of looking for armor that will stop a chisel, you need to learn to keep your free hand out of its path. It took me only one stab wound (resulting in four stitches) to learn that lesson -- apparently two isn't enough for you.
--
Regards,
Agreed.

Rather than armor, it seems you need to be repeating the mantra, "if it slips where's it going to go?" as you use your tools and accomodate the setup to assure that you are not in the path of that slip.
arw01 (in snipped-for-privacy@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com) said:
| The same hand has taken two slices from a chisel in the last year, | both times the wood has failed which allowed me to travel at high | velocity through my index finger knuckles.
Ouch!
| Besides holdng EVERY little pare in a vice, I'm looking for a kevlar | glove which is not open knit (like most carving gloves) and for one | that is heavy enough to stop a pretty fast moving japanese chisel.
Allen...
I suggest you re-think your safety strategy. It generally works out best if you do not aim tools capable of inflicting harm at your body parts. It really doesn't matter whether the tool is an axe, a nail gun, or a chisel - stay out of the line of fire!
Morris Dovey wrote:

But it does matter which body part is in the flight path. The options start at simply bad and move up rather rapidly to gruesomely bad and can-we-please-change-the-subject bad.
I think you should rethink vise and/or your tool selection. You could easily rig up a bench top clamp that is foot-operated similar to a deadhead on a drawknife bench. You also might be better off with a carving knife, or holding the chisel more like a carving knife, and use the appropriate carving motion where the blade really can't get to skin.
, and use

My 12-year old was slicing a bagel whilst holding it with her thumb through the bagel's hole... using my finely honed Wusthof chef's knife.
The chair I was sitting on, flew back with great velocity as I got up to try to stop this pending bloodbath. Nothing happened. "Daaaad... I'm not stupid" was the last thing out of her mouth for the rest of the weekend.
I MAY have overreacted..a little....but....it is unlikely she'll do that again.
*still shaking my head*
, and use

My 12-year old was slicing a bagel whilst holding it with her thumb through the bagel's hole... using my finely honed Wusthof chef's knife.
The chair I was sitting on, flew back with great velocity as I got up to try to stop this pending bloodbath. Nothing happened. "Daaaad... I'm not stupid" was the last thing out of her mouth for the rest of the weekend.
I MAY have overreacted..a little....but....it is unlikely she'll do that again.
*still shaking my head*

OMG
I assume that you showed her what a Wusthof would do to a weiner (a'la SawStop)
you cannot be expecting a seriousanswer, but if you get one, call the girl and start a Canasta club or something
arw01 wrote:

I've met a lot of old wreckers still in possession of 10 fingers and they never wore gloves. Wonder what they knew that you don't?
FoggyTown

Mebbe they started out with 12?
B.
check out a fish filletting glove, available at most good size sporting goods stores. ross