under the glove compartment

Someone on NextDoor writes that a thief "tried taking the car by taking off the panel under the glove compartment."

What could that refer to? What is under the glove compartment. She didn't say what kind of car it is.

Reply to
micky

Notice the word "tried". More likely the thief only wanted to get inside the glove box if it was locked. Or was a newbie thief who confused that cover with the ignition switch cover. ;-)

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Or else they knew exactly what they were doing with that model car. They stick computers in the strangest places. I can't remember what the annoyance was but the 2007 Toyota Yaris had a module in that location. You could simulate a sensor with a jumper using the right value resistor.

Reply to
rbowman

I remember hearing that come cars have an air filter there, although I don't know what the air filter has to do with taking a car.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

My impression is that cabin air filters were first offered on some cars in the 1970's and were pretty much standard by the year 2000. IME, the cabin air filter is usually *behind* the glove box and is accessed by removing the glove box. On my last 3 vehicles, the glove box can be removed without tools.

Like you, I don't think the would-be car thief knew what he or she was doing.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Yep . Easy-peasy for our Kia - no tools required : .. empty the glove box ; unhook the hold-arm for the door so it swings all the way down ; 2 turn-tabs release the compartment ; The cabin air filter resides there, behind a clip-on cover.

Cabin filter for our old Taurus was generally in the same area - but accessed from the engine compartment and awkward to change without damaging the new filter.. plus getting your hands grubby .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Yes, my 2005 Toyota has the air filter there. I wondered how important an air filter is in a convetible, and decided to look at it. It had some plant life, little leaves, some dust or dirt, and I replaced it. It doesn't seem to make any difference when the top is down, maybe in the winter it does.

Reply to
micky

Okay. Probably one of those things. He had broken the side rear window to get in.

Reply to
micky