Melt Butter Sticks

OT How is it possible that Melt Butter Sticks are allowed to call t hemselves butter when they say they are all vegetable and not dairy.

There are rules about what can be called margarine and what has to be called "spread". Are there no rules about butter? I thought the dairy lobby was stronger than than the margarine lobby.

Google Melt Butter Sticks

Reply to
micky

The government works slowly, and never more slowly than in 2018 when the American Butter Institute complained to the FDA.

Cindy Hamilton

Oh, wow, right on point.

Yes, 4 years is a long time when I could rule in 5 minutes. Then the formal finding would just copy and paste the complaint and its footnotes. I supppose there had to be a hearing, and maybe time to comment and an appeal, but 4 years is still too long.

And think of all the children who think they are eating butter but are not.

I note that grocery ads for the product usually describe them as 'buttery' at most. I'm not sure even that is allowed but at least they don't call them butter.

Reply to
micky

Sadly, I think it all depends on who waxes whose palms the most.

Even wonder why they can list sugar so low on a lot of products? They do it by dividing up the kinds of sugars individually and then put in twelve different kinds of sugars. It is a palm waxed loop hole.

Here is a good example of palm waxing:

Who Invented the Food Pyramid and Why You'd Be Crazy to Follow It

I'm sure you think that but what evidence do you have? For most of US history there was no nutrition labeling and still, it's not written in Heaven how it should be done.

Oh, big deal. People can read, and anyone with moderate education knows the various names for various sugars. Plus they give the calories and iirc how much comes from ??? carbohydrates or something.

For any change you think would be good there is something lost. For example, some people avoid palm oil but are happy with other oils.

Reply to
micky

See the link to the food pyramid I posted. Did you read that far?

And the special interests run off to the government and lobby for what suits them. Congress is awash in Big Pharma's money (the largest palm waxer).

This is true. And they also know the 293,659 different names for Free Glutamic Acid (MSG) too. I am T2 Daibetic and sometimes have to figure out some of the sugars myself, like mung fruit and Yucca, not to mention the sugar alcohols. They can be sneaky.

The ha ha keto prepared foods are really sneaky with their "net carbs", which is marketing bull s***. Unless the soluble fibers converts to Volatile Fatty Acids by your microbiom, it is a carb, although it converts much more slowly. Eating a bowl of sugar with a bowl of Metamucil is still eating a bowl of sugar.

Speaking of being really sneaky, when I read the carb contents on labels, I also have to read the serving size. The "industry" lobbied to be able to round on the count. Seems reasonable until you find a 6 oz can of something with

1 carb per serving and the serving size is 30 per can. Translation: one serving is 1.9998 grams of carbs and the whole can is 60 grams of carbs.

And what would be really, really helpful is if they would include the Glycemic Index and Load on the label. Don't hold my breath?

Fortunately, you can get most of that from nutritiondata.self.com

"Historically, the FDA has been chronically underfunded, a situation that has led to problems with the agency being able to meet its statutory responsibilities in a timely and acceptable manner."

Don't you know, the GOP hates the FDA.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

rbowman

Net carbs is not BS. Fiber is not digested but it's part of the carb count. So it's perfectly valid to deduct it from the carb count for those that are counting carbs. Been here, done this before, but it's like your stolen election denial and other BS, on the wrong track and stuck there forever.

Reply to
trader_4