Cutting brass

I'm looking to a slot the heads of some brass knurled knobs. I was thinking of mounting them in a line recessed in a piece of wood. I was thinking of using threaded inserts to hold the knobs and a jam nut on the back to fix the knob so it doesn't rotate. I can then use my table saw (with an old carbide tip blade) to cut through the wood in small increments until I have the slot at the right depth. Sound like a bad idea? Suggestion?

Reply to
krw

Not sure a table saw would be best my first choice. Do you have a band saw or a dremel tool? Their blades are significantly thinner, unless, of course, you want a slot that's as wide an a (thin kerf?) table saw blade.

Regardless of the tool you use, I like the idea of a jig of some kind so that you can do the job safely and accurately.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

1/8" slot is good. It has either a 3/4 or 7/8" head on a 1/4-20 screw thread.

I want to mount a fixture temporarily on a bench. When not in use, I'd like to put the screw back in the bench so the threads don't fill with sawdust. The problem is getting it out. ;-) The width or depth of the slot isn't all that important. All I want is to have some way of grab hold of it.

I have a bandsaw but it's intended for wood.

I need eight, so a jig to do four at a time shouldn't be all that hard. I'm worried that the table saw is too fast for brass. Aluminum wouldn't be a problem but brass is "sticky". Maybe if I shave off a sliver at a time. My biggest worry is that the blade will come apart. Kickback is manageable (stay out of the way ;-).

Reply to
krw

Have you looked into thumbscrews?** The handles might be in your way when not uusing the fixture, I don't know.

**Not just for torture anymore. Or maybe I mean wingscrews.

Apparently they go by both names. Good. That means I'm not senile yet.

I think a dremel is a far better idea than a band saw, but ftr, don't they sell metal cutting blades for your bandsaw? Even for my cheap one, they do.

Reply to
micky

OK, bigger than I imagined.

I've cut aluminum on my miter saw quite a few times, and on my band saw a couple of times, all with whatever wood blade was installed at the time. I assumed that brass was as soft and easy to cut as aluminum but I guess not.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

That's what I have. sorry I did say "knob".

No, a knurled thumbscrew.

No, like this.

It's not a cheap one. I don't have any metal blades and I'm sure they're $$. It takes a 145" blade so even wood blades aren't sold at Wall Mart.

Reply to
krw

I know you have knurled knobs. But if you want a slot, apparently the knurling is not enough. I'm asking if you consideered using thumb/wingscrews instead.

That's what you mean. I mean wingscrew.

Yes, I know.

But if you found the right thread, wingscrews are easier to use, don't require a screwddriver, and don't require cutting a slot in them.

Reply to
micky

I'd think a pretty deep hole in the bench would be needed. The fastener has to be "stored" well below the surface so tools (e.g. saw) can't get at it.

The thread isn't all that important. A 1/4" screw fits the fixture's mounting flange. A metric equivalent would do just as well.

Reply to
krw