Keeping Dust out of the Shop TV

Page 3 of 3

I have a small TV and DVD player in my shop and dont really do anything other than blowing them off once in a while. Haven't had any problems so far.
Lance
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:49:56 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"

I have a large TV and nice stereo in the garage... got really tired of cleaning the tv screen with anti-static stuff all the time, so I put 1 2x2' frame above them and used "visqueen" (sp) to cover the top and sides of the "box".. I flip up the plastic when we're watching tv, but the stereo works fine through 5 mil plastic, as does the remote..
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:49:56 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"

Call me a nervous nelly but I would *never* run a TV in a wood shop.
The high voltage in a TV will be a magnet for every dust particle, whether the TV is running or not. Dust will build up and eventually the high voltage will break down and the arc could cause a very nasty fire. As you can see, other posters have done it, but I wouldn't risk it.
TWS

Over twentyyears ago I attended an electronics school that taught among other things, television repair. We heard every kind of horror story associated with TV's. And these from the folks who worked on them. Fires, electrocutions and general stupidity happens all the time with these thngs. As my instructor pointed out, any movement towards lower voltage devices saves lives.
Among the stories;
A customer brings in a TV that is a charred mess inside. They ask what happens. Customer says that it was dusty inside. So he brings it out to the back yard and cleans it out with a water hose. Plugs it in and explodes. He is lucky that a house fire or worse did not happen.
Very common, folks unplug TV and touch picture tube in back. This discharges a very large electrical charge and kills them.
Dust is a TV killer. A lot of TV's have been sent to an early grave from smokers.

I remember once when I was doing some dusting. Turned off the TV, sprayed the Windex on the front TV screen and then went at it with a paper towel. Zaaaaap! A bolt of static electricity made me jump three feet in air. Might have been worse if I wasn't insulated from the floor by my rubber wheelchair tires. Only time I dust the TV now is if it's been off for a number of hours and even then I approach the thing like I'm sneaking up on a sleeping tiger.
I've got a TV in the shop and it's run fine for several years. Also a CD changer.
David
TWS wrote:

I might worry about that happening in my house, but my shop is fairly clean.. *g*
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:49:56 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"

Well, that's hard to do. I keep the TV, tape player, computer, etc out of the shop environment with the exception of a small radio. You can cover these items when not in use. Proper use of a DC and shop air filter will help keep the dust to a minimum. A couple times a year use the upholstery attachment on the vacuum.
No TV troubles, in a VERY dusty shop. In fact, my TV is next to the sander right now. Going on 4 years on this set, the last set worked fine for 4 or 5 years, I just moved it to the bedroom for spousal reasons. It still works in there.
Safety wise- I ignore it, mostly, I have the re-run network on, or maybe comedy Central, I just ignore 99 percent of it. It is just noise, maybe I get the occasional chuckle from dialog. Seldom look at it, now that I think of it. Unless something good pops on, than I turn off the tools, turn around, pull up a shop stool and watch it.
The other night, wife was watching something truly terrible, well to me anyway. I'd had a beer already, but I opened another, took it to the shop. Parked a favorite camping chair in a good spot, drank my beer, watched TV, gave serious thought to cleaning up a bit. Decided not to clean up at all.
CD player has given me a bit of trouble, so I moved it out. Last year, I ran lines out from the computer in the dining room, thru the wall, to the stereo in the shop. I saved the CD player that had been in the shop with compressed air.
-Dan V.
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:49:56 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:49:56 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"
......and in reply I say!:
What do you want a TV and DVD in the shop for? Learning videos?

Old Nick wrote:

On Sundays during the holy season I like to take the portable TV in the shop to watch the Washington Redskins while I'm puttering. Most of this season I've had to turn the sound down and it hasn't been a distraction at all, unfortunately. :-(
-- Mark
On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 03:09:01 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

Being a 49'er fan, this year has been a breeze in the shop!
Allyn