Just how lazy can we get?

Page 2 of 3

I am even lazier than that. I don't even measure stuff. I just eye-ball it! Who needs a tape measure? :)
(The tongue sits firmly in the cheek area)

You cut stuff? I just buy pre-cut lumber. You do get some odd configurations on furniture, but it save a lot of labor. Everything in my house is 4' or 6' or 8'.

These days, many of my shop made tools and accessories are built that way! See www.iedu.com/DeSoto/interest.html (interesting that no one has noticed :-)
-- Morris

A customer of mine has one...the damned thing is too slow to be useful...what a PITA...

Saw the ad for it on HGTV. Now, something with the stiffness to extend 12 or more feet -- *that's* useful. Something that rolls itself out at a slow crawl -- that's useless. MHO
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:20:39 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Stanley "Fat Max" I love mine for big timber framing jobs. Used carefully, you can get about 10' of horizontal stick out before the tape collapses. I used it just this morning to measure the length of my plastic workshop roof - 24' and it would have been hard going to push a floppier tape that far from up a ladder.

A FatMax is a countertop guy's bestest friend. I must have a dozen or more tapes all over the place...but freak out if I can't locate my FatMax.... now I wish I could find a dual (metric & Imp) one.
"Robatoy" wrote
snip ......

Well, try http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=HT%5FTAPES%5FFATMAX&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER3-719&SDesc=5m%2F16%26%2339%3B+x+1%2D1%2F4%26quot%3B+FatMax%26%23153%3B+Metric%2FFractional+Tape+Rule+Reinforced+with+Blade+Armor%26%23153%3B+Coating
watch the wrap ... Part number 33-719 ... 15 foot / 5 meter
or this one:
http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=HT%5FTAPES%5FFATMAX&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER3-726&SDesc=8m%2F26%26%2339%3B+x+1%2D1%2F4%26%2334%3B+FatMax%26%23153%3B+Metric%2FFractional+Tape+Rule+Reinforced+with+Blade+Armor%26%23153%3B+Coating
again, watch the wrap ... Part number 33-726 ... 26 foot / 8 meter.
HTH,
Rick

I had the piss taken out of me for my "twenty quid tape measure" when I first got it. Standing on top of a frame and pushing it out far enough to check diagonals without needing an assistant to hold it stopped that one.
Then of course they made a better one ! The "Leverlock" in the base is one of the first big tapes I've seen where the lock doesn't self-release if you push and pull on the tape.

Standard sort round here - wish I could get an imperial only one.

I love my Leverlock tape from Stanley. I have two in fact. I bought the first one from the borg, but when I wanted a second, no one carried them. I finally found a second one at Seven Corners Hardware (Tools on Sale).
Brian Elfert

Well... *I* bought a Starrett Model D125(64443) DIGITAPE.
I did.
For real.
Guess what?
$ 11.00 (that's ELEVEN) frickin' dollars for one of those obscure 3 volt MnO2Li batteries to power it.
I was trapped. TRAPPED! I tell ya...
http://www.contacteast.com/product/group.asp?parent_id 81
comes with 'Long Life' Lithium battery. The slightest bit of motion, and the thing turned itself on.
But I was the coolest for a little while. Chicks dug me.
I got that beat I paid a grand for a toilet seat. (Toto) You don't even wipe your ass anymore.....
We went to Europe, and the wife demanded a Bidet. I certainly wasn't going to add another one. I got tired of spending money on presents for the Wife that she never or used once. So I got one SHE HAS TO USE!
I think now America is desperate to make money anyway it can and in many cases quality and common sense take second and third! I will add though, I recently had a ceramic tile floor installed and the Installers laughed at all my toys. I told them here use this (Straight-Line 90 degree laser level) and the laughed out loud! Until they had problems squaring out the room, the room shifted .75 inch East and 1.5 inches South, so the room was skewed enough to be a pain in the ass, after about a half an hour of trying to get the Tile laid out right, I brought out the laser again and they were done in about 5 minutes.

when
it
calories
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 00:08:08 -0600, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"

I think it[s excellent marketing of a less-than-useless product... Wives probably flocked to the borgs to buy one for hubby last week...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

It still has a dumb end and a smart end.     j4
<snip>

Kinda depends on who's holding it, doesn't it? <GD&R> Tom
Hmm. Machines have made us productive. Why do you single this one out as making us obease. Many of us use time saving machines to free us up to hike, bike, swim, ski, ....
To those that use gadgets (which this is) to free up their time, fair play to ya. But when I see folks hop out of their minivan, push a button to open the side door, push another button to lower the seat, and yet another to do some other formerly physical activity, I just can't help but think the vast majority of people are not getting their exercise. Those places in the world where they still do things "manually" don't seem to have this problem. I won't argue that our fast food lifestyle is a major contributer but it just seems that some folks just don't get their exercise from doing things a bit more manually. Cheers, cc

Your assertions assume that labor saving devices cause or at least encourage obesity. I think these folks would be obese anyway because we have so much food, much of it highly fattening. The "places in the world where they still do things 'manually'" also are not aflush with resturants that use butter like water, fast food restuarants that use animal fat as taste enhancers, and highly processed food.
The problem of obesity is more complex than labor saving devices -- but I see you point. Cheers :)
I agree, the food we eat has more to do with obesity than anything. Couple it with lack of exercise and voila! I have seen a number of places however, where the people eat very rich type food (France, Italy) and don't seem to have the "largeness" that we do. Most of them put in many more miles of walking and still do things in a very manual way so it would seem that exercise has a lot to do with it.
Either way, I work pretty hard (physically) on my days off and will not be buying one of these gadgets! Cheers, cc

Hear, hear!
A new way in this house: Both my wife and I love freshly made ice-cream (most other, packaged stuff is drek.) BUT!!! If we want ice-cream, we have to peddle our bikes to another town to get it.... and we do..<G>