workbench finish/contrast opiniion wanted

Gang=

Build workbench top of red and white oak, butcher block style. Under cabinet is red oak and dimension lumber. Wanted to try contrasting drawers, so used red oak ply for interior parts and gel stained to antique walnut color. Looks good.

Q1: For drawer fronts, would white oak stained, using same as sides/back look ok., or should I just buy walnut. Don't know if stain and natural walnut will match.

Q2: What is best top surface finish if I do not want to darken the top, but want stain resistance.

Q3: Has anyone used the wet "grain filler" approach in last issue of FWW?

Q4: What is best finish for under cabinet, sans the drawers? Was planning on using Minwax wipe-on poly, which would tend to result in an amber color. Again, considering the top and contrasting drawer fronts, what would look the best?

No, I am not planning on using this for a piece of furniture, but considering all the effort I have put in, want it to start out looking nice :)

Reply to
Chris Carruth

Several coats of oil, enough to soak well in. Then wax. Wax stops glue adhesion.

Scrape the surface smooth and restore the finish as needed / annually.

Reply to
Andy Dingley