just found this group and have a question...

I'm building a jewelers bench for my wife. And I'm cutting dadoes for 1/4 walnut ply panels. And was wondering how deep should the dadoes be?

piece of wood you're dadoing.
On Friday, November 1, 2013 4:35:34 PM UTC-5, justin devico wrote:

For side and back panels? Are space balls being used?
Sonny
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It all depends on the walnut and its use. If you are using 1/4" walnut to divide pigeon holes, a quarter inch is plenty. If its structural, you will need 3/8", assuming your cutting them in 3/4" inch stock.

1/2" deep is a good safe depth.

I'd probably go with about 1/2" myself. You'll get plenty of support, but not be so deep you compromise the piece you're dadoing.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

That depends. Generally 1/2 the thickness is acceptable. but in situations like dividers for drawers 1/3 of the thickness is preferable.
--
Jeff

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 14:35:34 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Let's see now...
One said: 1/3 of the thickness the dado is in. One said: 1/4" or 1/2 of the thickness the dado is in. One said: 1/2". One asked something personal about your balls.
For me, I'd go with the 1/4" depth unless the dado is going in 1/4" material. If so, 1/8" is adequate.
I wonder what the next four or five answers will bring.

Use brad nails, then paint the walnut so the paint drips into the dado and holds it firmly in place.

Toe-nailed, of course, but if it will be load bearing then use screws too<g>
On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 19:25:36 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Sound advice. Just a couple other points. For proper adhesion, the paint must be bright yellow in color. Use some 80 grit sandpaper and sand while the paint is still wet to fill the brad nail holes. Any leftover paint can be used as a fine finish on your rifle or shotgun stocks.

I've used magenta and SBB (what we used to call Shit Brindle Brown) successfully as well.
--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
On 11/2/2013 7:37 AM, justin devico wrote:

Seems then that the solution would be to go with 3/8" dadoes and just make sure that you're not compromising the tenons. If you can't go 3/8" without hitting the tenon, move the tenon.
On 11/2/2013 7:37 AM, justin devico wrote:

From your descriptions thus far:
A 1/4" dadoe is quite sufficient for a plywood panel that is framed by rails and stiles/legs.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I concur, FWIW.
--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 20:08:25 -0500, Gordon Shumway

I'm with you.