Journeyman's Cabinetmaking Tools - v.2004

Exclusive of "large" power tools, what tools - both normite and neander, do you feel a journeyman cabinetmaker ought to have for his own? I've got some strong opinions, but I'd be interested to hear the group feedback....

  1. Eye protection
  2. Hearing protection
  3. Dust mask (filters provided by shop owner)
  4. Respiratior (ditto)
  5. Good boots and insoles
  6. Work apron...
  7. I'm thinking about what I'd like to see a prospective employee show up with - provided he knows how to use what he's brought!

JP

**************** Taking more than he gives for now.
Reply to
Jay Pique

  1. Complete line of Lie Nielsen hand planes with multiple blades
Reply to
Jay Pique

  1. An attitude of - If I don't know how, I will ask.
Reply to
TeamCasa

  1. An attitude that making a mistake is a option, as a matter of fact it is a requirement for learning.
Reply to
JAW

make the shoes steel tip toes

Reply to
JLucas ILS

Here's what one craftsman has to say about this:

patrick conroy

a journeyman - but now that I think about it, you can't really design without them!

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Found it in the Woodworking at Home DVD Issue #4. They tour the place. Pretty neat.

Reply to
patrick conroy

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:02:02 -0700, "TeamCasa" calmly ranted:

Excellent addition, Dave. Also add 8a. If I ask and get an answer I don't entirely understand or am not comfortable with the actions asked of me, I'll ask the question again, either to the same or another person.

- - - Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever. ---

Website Application Programming for YOU!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

His/Her own measuring tools.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

The above #7 I was kidding about, but I have been trying to fine tune my working environment lately. I think I'm good on 1 thru 4, and I've been working on #5 lately. The other day I went and tried on a pair of Red Wings and they felt very unsupportive relative to what I've been wearing lately. I pulled out a set of custom foot beds from some old ski boots and shoved them into my Timberland chukkas and man have they been comfortable. The support is outstanding and I find them to be much more comfortable day in and day out on concrete. My only gripe is that since I fit my ski boots much tighter than my workboots, my toes hang over the edge of the insole! (A new set is on the list, but not near the top.)

What is near the top is a better shop apron/tool bet set up. I just started wearing a welder's apron waist

I had to do a bunch of stripping. I like it, but I think I want something with the ability to comfortably carry around a few necessary tools (which have yet to be decided). I haven't really seen anything out there that matches what I had in mind though, and was thinking about trying to make one, when I saw this...
like it because it's got a good support system (doesn't go around your kneck) and offers a high level of protection. I saw a coworker take a kick-back to the groin a few months ago, and let me tell you I don't need to feel that. I know a traditional apron would offer the same protection, but I also like the idea of putting some padding in the knees. Our shop takes the phrase "ergonomically challenged" to whole new levels. As such, something that prevents you from embedding a wood screw into your patellar tendon when you kneel down is a *good* thing.

What I don't like is that it's too hot in the summertime, and it looks a little dorky (to me). Plus, it would need to be modified to hold the tools I want to anyways. What to do...

On to old business... Last paycheck's new tools were the accessories for the LV low angle block plane - ball/tail knob and chamfer guide, and a set of Hirsch firmer chisels. The knobs haven't gotten any real use (too much finishing work right now) other than a quick run through. The chamfer guide got a good workout though, and I really like it. Once you have the depth setting right, taking it on and off the plane is a snap. This is nice, since I only have one block plane right now. (A new one is waaaay down the list!)

The chisels haven't really been used yet either. They've been flattened through 1500 grit, but haven't been sharpened yet. I've heard nothing but good things, so I'm pretty excited. I'm actually more excited that I'm finally finshed flattening them. They are certainly very shiny when you get them, but the backs aren't totally flat. First you have to soak off a layer of sealant, and then you need to grab your coarse stone and go to work. I started with 220, then went to 600 and then jumped to 1200 then 1500. I wouldn't recommend that method. I'd get all of the interim grits and get a little assembly line going next time. Doing it here and there while talking on the phone just didn't cut it. (The DRLP and complete line of Shapton Pro Series stones - now THAT would cut it.)

My other new tool this week will be a digital voice recorder. Much easier than digging out a pen and paper, and allows for an easy record of what works and what don't. I'm more likely to avoid the same mistake the next time if I have it written down somewhere. I'm planning to transcribe my notes at the end of each day, but I'll also be able to keep the audio files as well. How cool!

JP

Last week

Reply to
Jay Pique