Jointers and Planers, Oh my!

Page 2 of 2

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 04:19:26 GMT, the inscrutable "Don"

Well, "while continuously receding from or approaching it" describes a cone perfectly, Don. CW is right. Couldn't they more correctly be called "helical stairways"?
======================================================= Was that an African + http://www.diversify.com or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications =======================================================
Don wrote:

What's being argued here is geometric definition as opposed to common usage...
The geometric definition of a helix is the straight line drawn on the surface of a cylinder. The Oxford dictionary lists the first definition (common usage) as "spiral". From a geometrical viewpoint, the rail of what you defined as a spiral stair is, in fact, a helix.
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:11:04 GMT, the inscrutable "Don"

No, it's a coil, a helix.

That's marketing terminology for you.
======================================================= Was that an African + http://www.diversify.com or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications =======================================================
Funny Stu should mention the incline of the extension wings on the DW735. I recently attended "lecture" on planers at a WWshow in VA and the speaker suggested the inclination of the extension wings (towards the cutter heads) on all brands of planers. Oddly enough, it has eliminated any snipe I had with the DW735. Once corrected, the Dewalt unit seems to perform almost perfectly. Since getting the planer, I have always connected it via a 4" hose to a 2hp DC unit, so I've never had problems with chips clinging to the feed rollers, but I suppose this could be a problem if one depends on the planers internal fan to evacuate the chips.
As for the Jet 6" jointer, I bought a used one off of ebay a year ago for $325 and it too works well. I was required to clean some surface rust off the unpainted areas and get a second set of knives, but the units does accurate face planing and jointing as well as any other machine I used. I suspect that a jointer with a longer (and wider bed) would be even better, but everyone has his or her budgetary limits.
In short, the DW735 and Jet jointer work well for me.
Steve wrote:

I've no pertinent info on jointers for you

I recently bought the Dewalt 735 and the optional dust collection attachment. The planer has a blower built into the dust port, so you can connect the attachment hose directly on and shoot the shavings into a barrel. I believe this feature alone is worth the extra price over the Delta. I've run about 100 bf of pine and about 20 bf of rough maple including some 12" glued maple stock and have been very happy with the results (about six 50 gallon barrels of shavings in all). The only problem I've seen is that the feed rollers require frequent cleaning.
I might not have purchased the optional collection kit ($50) if I had realized that the basic planer comes with an attachment to which you can connect a 4" hose. Then again, I saved quite a few hours rigging something up that probably wouldn't have worked as well.
Good luck,
sam of vt
I've never regretted getting the 54A. It's well made, has flat tables, and a nearly flat fence (close enough to cause me no problems), and I like the longish table length.
Dave
Matt wrote:

I've had the Ridgid jointer for a few years, and it's been a great machine. Fit and finish are excellent, and it consistently produces accurate results.
I don't think it's "down the ladder" from Jet at all. Most of these 6" Taiwanese jointers come from the same manufacturer, and there isn't really much difference between brands. The Jet has a welded, fully enclosed base, while the Ridgid has a bolt-together stand. That's the weight difference, and the Ridgeid takes a bit longer to assemble, but that doesn't justify a 70% higher price to me.
As for the Powermatic, if you're seriously thinking about that kind of money, look at 8" models.
On 17 Mar 2005 17:37:19 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@fast.net wrote:

Having owned a Ridgid, and used the Jet, I agree.
The PM-54 is a nice 6" machine, as is the discontinued DJ-15. Both are worth the premium over the clones.
Barry

now....Honestly I have only wished a few times for an 8 in Jointer But have wished for longer beds many times... That said I can honestly say that I have never been defeated because of the width nor the bed length on my Trusty Rockwell...
Yea I buy the powermatic today if I were in the market for a new jointer (I'm not ) .. REASON..>> the bed length .. Just have not run into the need for an 8 inch jointer..
Jointers in general are darn simple machines...even the Tiawan Factories should be able make flat tables and fences..(key word is should)... I would check out shopfox, yorkcraft, and especially Grizley
I am not a fan of Ridgid machines...period..!!!! BUT I have stated more then a few times that I do like their Planer almost purchased it over the De Walt but chicken out...
My Planer is a run of the mill De Walt single speed unit...Only 5-6 years old but has been well used during that time... I am completely satisfied with it....Nothing really outstanding about it except it works ... I generally take light passes and normally do not run into any snipe that upsets me...I do see some snipe if I am not careful. I am completely satisfied with it...
Good luck...
Bob Griffiths
Hi Matt:
I picked up the Rigid 12" planer a couple of years ago. HD discounted it heavily to make room for the newer one that comes with the dust chute and stand included. I only paid $211 for it, so that pretty much made the decision for me. I use it all the time, and I have been very happy with it.
Regards, John.