Jointer's - New Purchase

I finally have to give up my Bench Dog router table as a jointer. I waste TOO much time and wood.
I am looking at Delta - Floor and Bench top. I do lots of small trays, boxes, and some furniture like cabinets. I try to stay away from working with LONG pieces of wood preferring to make things in detachable sections for the larger pieces so the wood length capabilities may not apply.
What are your reco's.
Delta JT 360 Delta JT 160 Delta 37-195 Delta 37-275 Pro
I would prefer to have it on separate moveable stand regardless of the model.
Thanks in advance.
Bill

Eliminate this one. As for the quality of the finished edge, the others are probably not much different. The benchtop is going to frustrate you for even medium length pieces compared to a floor model. IMO, it is not much of a step up from using the router table. Ed
Bill Bradley wrote:

FWIW, I've got the 160 and for me so far it's working fine. Just did some 48" pieces for a workbench and they fit together so well that I can't see where they join except by the grain-change.
On pine it tends to clog up with shavings--if you're doing mostly softwoods I suspect you may need to hook up a shop vacuum or dust collector to it to keep it clear.
Cuts lignum vitae just fine (taking a thin cut--I haven't tried a heavy one) and that's about as hard as it gets. Shavings run right out with that.
Haven't had it long enough to be able to judge how well it will hold up.
For what you're describing it seems like an excellent fit.
There's no stand for it, but it's small and light enough that you can keep it on a shelf and pull it out when you need it if you don't want to buy or make one.
So far I've used it a _lot_ more than I expected--it's a case of "once it's there you use it"--if I had known that I was going to use it so much I'd likely have gone for the JT360, but I doubt that I'd have gone above that for my use.

--
--John
I have a JT160, and I guess I come inbetween the other two opinions. The tables are too short for serious work, and the aluminum wears poorly. I have one simply because I don't have room for a proper jointer; and I guess I am happy with it given what it is, but would dearly like more room and a proper jointer.

Maybe you have above average skills for it. See above thread "Help for Jointer" for another couple of opinions.
Similar thread - different DUMB question....(reflection on me not OP)
My new jointer is covered in grease over the knives, and head assembly...
I know how (thanks to wreckers) to remove the cosmolene from the table etc, and I will not be removing the grease form the posts, but, umm, should I remove the grease from the knife assembly area?
Ty in advance...
Mike
wrote in message

On Tue, 25 May 2004 07:37:42 GMT, "Mike Richardson"

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Or it may be that I've just not been working with stock longer than it can handle--the OP indicated that he preferred to work with shorter pieces.
--
--John

When I bought my jointer I was not impressed with any of Delta's 6" machines. I bought a Jet 6" closed stand jointer and love it. Greg