bench dog router table & router choice

I have a Bench Dog Protop Contractor 40-001 and am undecided which is wisest choice for its router. It would seem that a plunge router is a waste as is a variable speed.

My first thought would be to install the PC 690 with a separate variable speed router control mounted on the box exterior.

Any thoughts on a router without overkill?

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

Although I'm not familiar with the Bench Dog router table and it's features, I would have to say some way to control the router speed is necessary if you plan to use larger bits, panel raising bits, etc. I have a Hitachi M12V plunge router permanently mounted in my shop built table. It was reasonably priced and plenty powerful. I added a Router Raizer and an Xtreme Extension for above table bit changing, both 1/2" and 1/4" shanks. When I have to adjust the speed I reach under the table and move the dial. Hasn't missed a beat in over five years of weekend woodworking, including a kitchen full of cabinets.

Dale

Reply to
dale martin

Hmm, a 690 LRVS (variable speed included) seems to cost about $25 more than one without.

If you are purchasing new, I don't see the advantage of using external variable speed control vs. a router with the VS built in. I don't know if the "quality" of the available external speed controls is comparable to what you get built in, I personally would go for the built in.

The main reasons for having VS is the soft start (not such a big deal with the 11 amp 690) or for spinning larger bits safely.

A 690 is not going to handle using large router bits in a table that much, it doesn't really have the guts to handle it, you'll need to do it in multiple passes. Also there's the size of the hole in the subbase. If the bit can fit in the hole in the stock plate, you shouldn't need to slow the speed down...

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Thanks for the ideas and help.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

Wise counsel. Thanks.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

For ease of use in a table with no other money spent on add-ons I'd say look real hard at the Tritons.

Reply to
Davej

I whole heartedly recommend the triton!

Andy

Reply to
Andy H

When I want a new powered hand tool I always check the local pawn shops. They have a lot of crap but also a lot of good stuff goes through there. I bought a DeWalt plunge router for my table at $60 when it was selling for $349 new. It runs perfectly and looked almost new when I bought it. I picked up a PC biscuit jointer in about the same condition for $40.

Reply to
dcamron71

Great idea... thanks!

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

I have the larger Triton. It incorporates fixed base adjustability and the ability to plunge out of the table. It is variable speed and you want this for the larger bits. It is easily adjusted, has above the table bit changes and these days the Tritons are INEXPENSIVE. 4 years ago I paid $325 IIRC they can now be had for $100 less.

Oh, and it has been hanging up side down in my Bench Dog router table since I bought it.

Reply to
Leon

Having had a number of tools stolen, absolutely refuse to patronize pawn shops.

There is a reason for those low prices.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I can understand your sentiment but it's a lot harder to sell stolen merchandise to pawn shops these days. At least in my state. I found out after my entire shop was stolen. After losing my job I took another one in the next state, 4 hours away. For 3 months I was only able to go home on weekends. One weekend I found that my shop (30 x

30) was completely emptied. Nothing ever turned up in the pawn shops but lots of the smaller stuff ended up on e-bay. I also found some of it at the flea market up the street. The police weren't helpful at all as you might expect. The only thing I had serial numbers on was the big stuff and I've never found any of it. The insurance company wasn't any help either. They offered me $1100 for a shop that I put over $10k into. That was 4 years ago. Now I'm slowly but surely trying to accumulate enough tools to build the projects I want. It's a lot harder this time around with lower pay. Not only that but I eventually lost my house because it was vandalized beyond selling while I was out of town.
Reply to
dcamron71

I'm in SoCal, home of the thief or it would appear that way.

Been to that movie, it was not pleasant.

Yep.

BTDT.

Think positively. It provides you with an excuse to upgrade.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett