jointer question

Hope you all don't mind me posting 2 questions in a row, but they seem to hit me in waves. My jointer, only when edge jointing, not face jointing, has been producing little scallops along the cut. I am assuming that this is because the blades are not perfectly set. Is that the reason?
It does sound like the knives are not set properly, or your feed rate is too fast.
-nick

Try moving the fence to a new spot when edge jointing. My guess is that the blades are dull in that area.
JP

I'd go with the feed rate as well. I encounter the same thing when I get in a hurry and zip an edge across the jointer too fast. I rarely can move the stock that fast when face jointing.
--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact /

knife. Third choice dull. Dull usually shows some crushed fiber at the high spots

The knives are brand new. I replaced them yesterday, but the scalloping continued. So, no dull blades involved.
Slow down the feedrate. There is no way around the scallops. It's the dynamics of the cutter. Best you can hope for is very small scallops. Used to see the same thing in slab mill cuts (metal working) before they figured out that helical blades cut better.

I get that when my feed rate is too fast. Slow it down and it will go away. bc

Maybe but it could be technique. Your feed rate might be fast or you might not be putting enough pressure on your stock to hold it down tightly. I like having a very slick joiner table which will make things easier when holding down your stock. Use paste wax or whatever you like to use on your table saw top.
Mike O.