I really don't mind...

...two crows falling down the chimney - presumably engaging in sexual activities.

I don't even mind them knocking off all the lampshades, from the wall lights, but I do draw the line at them s*****ng on the walls and floor.

Sigh.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We had a similar problem - until I stuffed my assembled drain-rod rods up the chimney. Just pokes about six inches above the chimney-pot. No problems since.

Haven't had blocked drains since, either.

One up for lateral thinking.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

The crow that fell down another chimney and flapped for days before dying seems to have been turned to soot by the wood burner

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 17:32:42 +0000, The Natural Philosopher snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid wrote: <snip>

Did it ignore all your efforts to encourage it out?

Did the RSPCA and the local chimney sweep suggest you just left it to suffer and slowly die?

How soon after did you fit the guards to the chimneys?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Out house is a little older than that... and the reason we have wall lights upstairs is so that there is no wiring in the loft where it could set light to the thatch.

Downstairs none of the ceilings are over 2 metres, and there isn't the height for them.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Most rooms that we redecorate, here, we're restoring the picture rails that some swine has taken out.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net writes

Our first house, a Victorian semi, had a horizontal board fitted at picture rail height in the *front room*.

We used it for displaying decorative plates but I have not seen it used elsewhere since.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That was pretty common on period Scottish houses. Not seen it on English ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

There's a house near here (East Kent) that has such a shelf all the way round. It is integrated with what I am pretty sure is original panelling.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah - right. I'm more familiar with London Victorian houses. Not super posh ones.

I've seen it in tenement buildings in Scotland.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

This isn't super posh either, although it's not down market either.

Bob Eager

In article snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

Seen it on some farm houses in the north east of England where there is considerable Scottish influence on many things.

Reply to
bert

FiL's house in Lewes has this, although he may have added it. Quite a skilled woodworker in his time, making things like model clinker-built boats. Too old for that now, sad to say.

Reply to
Tim Streater