Jointer Planing

or the friggin ends!! I buy S4S or better due to lack of tools... and it's really rare that either end is cut square in either direction..

Reply to
mac davis

Not quite.

Jointers are for faces *and* edges: make a face straight and flat, then make an edge straight and square to the face.

Then you take the board to the planer, to make the *other* face parallel to the one you jointed.

Finally, it goes to the table saw, to have the other edge ripped parallel to the jointed one.

Doug Miller

I saw a real gem today. Walnut. Put one end flat on the floor, and it made a great big (. Quality.

Reply to
Silvan

mac davis responds:

They are designed for different tasks, but a jointer works on the face, too, removing cup and similar affliction. They just cannot reliably produce parallel sides, so a planer is needed.

Charlie Self "Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy." Edgar Bergen, (Charlie McCarthy)

Reply to
Charlie Self

Yup - that's why you have to look at the wood. Bad wood comes in all sizes, and species.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Hmmmmm.... wouldn't it have to be S6S if the ends were cut square?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

maybe it would be S4S2E ??

Reply to