Jointer getting louder

I have a Grizzly 6" 1HP Jointer (model G1182), that's getting louder by the day. I'm not sure if the additional noise is coming from the cutter head bearings or the motor. It does appear that the motor "Spins Down" much faster then it used to and comes to an abrupt stop when I turn it off.
Any thoughts ?
Thanks
R-
Remove the belt, spin the pulley's by hand - which one feels like it has grit in it? Power it up and see if the motor makes any strange noises and see how it spins down.
Bob S.

"Rich Woodfin" wrote ...

Check the set screws that keep the pulleys tight. A similar problem happened to my bandsaw at one time and I found the cause was a loose motor pulley.
--
Cheers,
Howard

Another option is to remove the motor from being mounted on the stand and to hang off of a wooden vertical platform.
Sort of like a big and wide sliding dovetail made out of plywood. Motor is mounted on the moving part, with the keys on the stationery part starting just a bit higher than the length of the motor platform. This allows the motor platform to be placed under the keys and then lifted up into position.
The weight of the motor provides the tension for the belt. Secure the vertical platform to the stand via some bracing. This would only be good for smaller motors =< 1.5 HP.
Depending on the clearance inside the stand, you might be able to move the motor over laterally to put the pulley on as per the instruction booklet.
Dropped the decibels here from *having* to wear ear protection, to *not necessary* anymore (but still do because other stuff is running).
YMMV
--
Think thrice, measure twice and cut once.

Sanding is like paying taxes ... everyone has to do it, but it is