jointer

I am being seriously tempted to replace my HF 4" jointer (good little jointer, but like all HF jointers, lousy fence) with a 6" and am looking at both the Grizzly (great price) and the Sunhill. Does anyone have any input on which would be the better choice?
Thanks
Deb
I am looking to upgrade my jointer and having been married to a "Downeaster Scott" for 41 years, am looking for the biggest bang for the buck. I came across a
CT-60L Sunhill 6" x 52" Long Bed Jointer with Spiral Knife Cutterhead
For $515.00 + $114.49 s/h at Amazon.com
What do you know of the Sunhill equipment?
Thanks
Deb
Don't waste your time with Sunhill. They'll promise you shipment in X weeks where X usually equals 2 or 3 only to requote you another X weeks after that time has expired. I came to wonder whether or not they actually sell machinery or just have an internet store as a front for something else..... Ok, well, people actually do own Sunhill machinery, so that's not the case. Those that do have seemingly been happy. But feedback is fairly limited.
Check out the Yorkcraft 6" jointer sold by Wilke machines. It sells for aroung $339.oo. I've had one for about a year and love it, the best value in my shop. Do a google search for it in this group and you will see that others feel the same way (that's what I did before I bought mine). By the way, the machine is the same as the Delta 6" model: I mean literally the same, made in the same factory and everything.
Good luck
Delbert Freeman wrote:

I also have the Yorkcraft 6". Father's day gift. I just put it together but still need to align it. Fit and finish is good.
Doug,
I thought you were joking about being the same as the Delta. YOU ARE RIGHT. I pulled up the Delta manual and even the some of the pictures are the same. The Delta manual appears to have a better push stick plan though.
The price was as Doug said $339. I am about an hour from York, PA so I drove up and picked mine up. (I didn't really pick it up, its about 280lbs.).
As I said, I haven't used it yet, but through the assembly I think I got a good deal.
David
very_dirty snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

IIRC from the FWW review a few months ago, the Delta had what was judged a higher quality motor, but the basic machine was the same...
Watch the local city papers, there was just an 8" jet in mine for $450.00. I picked up a 8" craftsman profession never assembled for $405 off ebay and had a couple of work associates pick it up, hold it for a trucking friend, and bring it to my town for nothing.
Alan
Dr. Deb wrote:

There is an outfit in PA that sells an off shore unit people who have used it seem to like.
Lew
Wilke machinery sells a Yorkcraft 6" jointer. Somewhere around $325. It's a dead ringer for the delta 6", almost as if it rolled off the same assembly line, magically at about half the price... ;)
Thanks,
Bill
Yorkcraft got best buy in a recent review. I may take a drive out there and look at them sometime.
Dr. Deb wrote:

I've never used either the griz or the sunhill, but the sunhill 8" jionter has a good reputation...
Can't speak to the Grizzly 6" but my son-in-law has a G0500 and it is a good machine. Did well in a recent FWW review too.
Back to 6" machines, I have owned a Powermatic 54A for over a year and could not be happier. Costs a little more buy I'll never have to buy another.
RonB

The one you can return if it isn't correct. Have had a number of problems with Grizz tools in a former life. Parts were cheerfully supplied, but the question of why it happened to so many and so often lingers....
Dr. Deb wrote:

I got a Ridgid 6" at one of my area orange borgs for $310. I guess they aren't going to be carrying them anymore, and had a closeout special on them. Fantastic machine, even when you don't consider the good deal I got.
-John in NH

I got one of the close outs too. Same price. Could have gotten the floor model for another $50 off, but the warranty requires you send in the UPC patch from the box and naturally, no box. Such is life.
Tom
My own, humble opinion is that you can just about flip a coin. Grizzly's gotten a lot better in the last several years and Sunhill's always had a good rep. In fact, I was in the same boat as you some months ago except I'd decided to go with an 8-inch model.
Returning that thing is going to be a class A pain, no matter who you buy from. That's why lots of folks go local. In my experience, the odds that either Sunhill or Griz will send you a lemon are about the same: really really small.
If price isn't your biggest concern, try to find out what the differences are between the two models you like. There's bound to be SOME, however small. Then choose the one with the features you like best.
I've got the Grizz G0586. Love it. Fit 'n finish is great, parts were all there, adjustments and calibration were easy. Does a nice job flattening wood. Thing is, I'm pretty sure I'd feel the same way about the comparable Sunhill model. :-)

I've got the Sunhill 6" (it's actually got a nameplate of GeeTech I think). It's worked very well for me and I'm still quite happy with it. Everything was pretty well setup out of the crate and I've had no problems with it. Well, I've had one problem. I find that enough times to be frustrating, I need an extra inch or so of bed (width wise). I'm currently looking at the Grizzly G0586 and trying to justify just how I'm gonna buy this thing (I'd be selling the Sunhill....you wouldn't happen to be near NM would you?). All in all, I've been happy with the Sunhill but that being said, I've also been happy with my Grizzly Bandsaw and Cabinet saw as well. Good luck. Cheers, cc