Joining long boards with short table

Page 2 of 2
On 15 Jul 2004 06:20:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (heyscott) wrote:

How wide is the gap in the center? Sometimes, a very slight bow is GOOD, as it'll keep pressure on the ends as the wood moves. Tage Frid mentioned this in several writings.
Barry

Barry: I would have been happy with a gap of about 1/32" or so, for the very reason you mention. But it was starting to get closer to 1/8"! That just seems to be no good!
Thanks for all the great replies, guys! Some of the ideas are what I ended up doing and trying, and I was eventually able to get a pretty good joint. Sadly (or maybe fortunately), I still have to make 8 more boards at about this length, so I should get pretty good at it by the end!
I tried aligning rollers precisely, but couldn't get them exact (my basement floor is kind of wavy, which didn't help.) What ended up working best was running just the ends of each board through the jointer once or twice, set on a very slim cut. After knocking the ends down a bit, I ran through the jointer all the way through a few times from each direction, checking the boards against each other each time.
I think it worked -- I guess I'll know better when I take the clamps off tonight!
I might have to try the idea with a straight router bit through the edges sometime, though I see some logistical difficulties with that, too.
Thanks again, and by all means keep the suggestions coming!
Scott

One more I did not see mentioned, which has worked for me: get a straightedge, or make one similar to a circular saw guide only sized for your router, clamp it to your stock, then use a pattern bit to clean up your edge. Easier to set up than a jig to route both boards at once. I use this for the occaisional situation, but if I jointed panels on a regular basis, I'd look into something I believe is made by Jointech, or some such, that works on the same principle.
Glad it worked out, Scott. With so many ideas pouring out, I sat back on this one. Had a similar problem before, and solved by first ripping with the table saw. Then using the jointer on very light passes to take out any blade marks. The idea being to get it close enough so that a few very light passes will work, just as you did. GerryG