Joiners

Page 2 of 2
(Sadly) I own one. It was dirt cheap ($169? a long time ago) and it way better than nothing. The 7"knives from HF were useless, and I have not been able to locate any other supplier of 7's. I am currently running it with 6" freud knives.
So, It's really a 6. :-(
-Steve

You might want to consider the Shop Fox. Their tools seem to be very good and support is excellent,
WC Addison
Rule of thumb for board length to bed length is a jointer will correctly and easily joint a board up to one and one half times the length of it's table. They will do longer but it takes some dicking around.
There is no rule of thumb for width of blade/bed. If you can't figure out by yourself whether a 6" or 8" jointer will meet your needs you probably shouldn't be playing with sharp instruments anyway.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net

================I have not read any of the replies to your question YET...but I can tell you I have owned a Rockwell 6 inch jointer for close to 40 years now... AND I will tell you that I have given it a heck of a lot of use over the years....
I VALUE BED LENGHT over cutter width...
My Rockwell has a pretty short bed...maybe 40 inches or so...and that short lenght has given me 1000 times more problems then being limited to a 6 inch wide board...
I make a lot of tables, desks, etc..and I do a lot of glue ups for tops etc..and in mist cases I limit the width of a board to about 4 to 5 inches in width anyway....
MAYBE ..and this is a true statement...in the 40 years I have owned this jointer I wished I had purchased an 8 inch jointer less then a dozen times... BUT even making that statement if I were to buy a new jointer today and the bed lenghts were equal I would buy an 8 in jointer and limit the width of my boards I use to glue up a table top to 4 inches or so... Just to save time...
GET the Longest BED you can find...
Bob Griffiths

Go on, brother! <G>
Barry