Jigsaws

Page 1 of 2
I was looking for a 120v jigsaw in the $50 range. Local hardware store recommended the Skil 4390-01 (Amazon page here: (Amazon.com product link shortened) )
Any other ideas? Opinions on the Skil jigsaw?
Thanks!
Rob wrote:

Yeah, spend the extra for a Bosch. There is no other power tool in which the difference in performance between cheap and good is as great as the jigsaw.
--John

What he said. I used a top of the line (consumer) Craftsman jigsaw for 10 years or more until I got my hands on a pro-quality orbital jigsaw. The difference is night and day. You'd think that as long as the blade is held securely and made to go up and down in a sawing motion, they'd all be the same. It just ain't so. There are two kinds of jigsaws in the world. Pro-quality orbitals and junk. For $50, you only get the latter, from any manufacturer.
DonkeyHody "I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet." - Unknown
I picked up a Bosch on ebay for about $60. Got it from a pawn shop, almost brand new, case and all.
Be patient, selective, use the automatic bid assistant and you will get one and same some $$ at the same time.
DonkeyHody wrote:

Well then...YOU SUCK!

I looked at that same Skil recently but decided to spend the extra money and just got a Bosch 1591. Wow, I think I could write my name in plywood with that baby, I didn't know a jigsaw could be that smooth. That old line about only crying once when you pay for a good tool rather than crying every time you try to use a cheap tool is now my official policy. ;^)

Second that. Forget the skil, ryobi, etc.... Buy stuff that'll remind you why you spent the extra $$ every time you pick it up.
You'll be a lot less likely to throw the bosch in frustration too. See, it saves you in repair costs too!
Anytime you need justification for tools, just post here.
jc

My wife finally threw in the towel, gave me a Lee Valley gift certificate for Christmas. Boy was that a fun package to open. ;^)
Rob wrote:

"Skil" as a product line is designed as a consumer level entry line of tools.
The lone exception is the "77" saw wich I think is being redesigned.
If you don't expect much, you won't be disappointed.
I would not buy any "Skil" product being offered today.
Lew

I got one of their circular saws not long ago and so far it has performed just fine although I wouldn't expect it to last as long as a more expensive brand/model. All I wanted it for was cutting up sheets of OSB, if I'd needed a tool for a more serious job I'd have spent more. I believe Bosch actually owns Skil these days, the low half of a high-low product range I suppose, however much you want to spend they have something to sell you.
"DGDevin" wrote:

range I

you.
SB bought out Skil a few years ago and basically trashed everything but the "77".
I'm convinced the only reason for thr buy was to get the 77.
So yes, SB still owns Skil as well as Bosch.
Lew
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 04:51:30 -0500, "J. Clarke"

I've been meaning to get back to thank everyone for the excellent info. So you're saying to get the Skil jigsaw, right? Just kidding-- pretty overwhelming endorsement for Bosch in this thread! They must be doing something right.
Thanks again to all!

I have been using a Skil jigsaw for about 15 years now with great success, paid about $150 for it, great tool. That being said the one you are looking at is a good short term rough work tool, meaning it won't last long and will be a pain to use. Spend the extra money and buy a Bosch you won,t regret it

I've been trying to kill my B&D saber saw for almost 30 years and the sucker just won't die... they just don't make 'em like that any more..lol
I thought it was finally going to bite it when a friend borrowed it to cut holes in 1 1/4" particle board for his bathroom floor, but it just did its' thing and laughed at us..
I looked at some of the newer ones and though I'm sure they work better and have more features, they're also a lot heavier... not a good thing for the stuff I do with one..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

A puke green colored one? A drop off a 12' ladder onto a concrete driveway worked for me!
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

30 years ago Black and Decker actually made some good tools. Too bad, the choices they made since then.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Nope.. actually has a metal case, remember those?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

what about dewalt and other brands?
On Jan 10, 11:54 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: