Jewelry/Music box construction

Good evening all, I have been lurking in the background and dropping in once in a while to see what is going on in this news group. I have recently come across a potential problem that one or more of you have probably tackled in the past. I would like to make several music/jewelry boxes for Christmas gifts this year. These will basically be a simple box with molding around the base for decoration.

The problem that I anticipate having is adding the molding around the bottom of the boxes. My question is how do I cut the molding to exactly fit the box. If the front piece is too short there will be a gap at the miter joints of the molding. If the front piece is too long the molding will not fit the sides properly.

I would like to use a miter lock joint for the box if possible and then add the moulding. I could always just cheat and glue the molding to a board and then cut out the front, rear, and sides with a 45 degree miter. This would give great fitting joints for the molding but would make for weak box joints. The solution is probably obvious but for now I am stumped. Any suggestions? Larry

- - - - - - - - - - If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?

Reply to
Larry Griffin

Larry wrote: Group: rec.woodworking Date: Tue, Aug 19, 2003, 1:44am (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Larry=A0Griffin) Good evening all, I would like to make several music/jewelry boxes for Christmas gifts this year. These will basically be a simple box with molding around the base for decoration. The problem that I anticipate having is adding the molding around the bottom of the boxes. My question is how do I cut the molding to exactly fit the box.

****************************************************** I have done a lot of mitering of molding in my time and I modestly say that each piece fits perfectly. This is how I do it. I make all miters on my RAS, set to 45=B0 of course. I cut them a bit too long and then repeatedly "shave" them with the side of the blade until I get an exact fit. It takes patience, a little time and a lot of cut and try but I think that it is worth it. Peace ~ Sir Edgar =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8= =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8
Reply to
Sir Edgar

Glue the molding onto each of the 4 sides then cut your miter

Ken

Reply to
Ken Johnsen