Jerky maker (dehydrator) plans??

I used to see some web sites that had pretty good food dehydrator construction plans/ideas but don't seem to locate any now. Any one know of any??? RM~

Reply to
Rob Mills

While I don't know of any site that has plans, I remember the one a teacher of mine built. It was about 2'x2'x5' the upper half contained a series of slots and screen shelves. (where the material to be dried was placed.)

In the lower half he placed a space heater facing the opposite side and a piece of sheet metal wedged into a curve to deflect the heat upwards. The top was open. The screened shelves were boxed in making it more a "drying tunnel' than a dehydration box. It did the trick though.

Sorry I don't have more precise measurements. But I remember this from the 6th grade and I'm 45 now.

Reply to
strikerspam

Mark H

Did you get to eat any?

Reply to
Upscale

Yeah, but it wasn't too fun for kid not use to camping. I put the piece of dried apple in my mouth and it promptly sucked every bit of water out of it.

Reply to
strikerspam

Reply to
Rob Mills

Anything like these?

Thanks for the thought, RM~

Reply to
J. Clarke

but I would bet those would work great if mine conked out. Mine is a ceramic cone wrapped with an exposed screen door spring like heating element such as you would see in an elect dryer coiled arround the outside. It has a screw base at the bottom of the cone just like a regular light bulb. RM~

Reply to
Rob Mills

As JOAT would say if he were still posting, "google is your friend."

A google search on "ceramic screw base heating element" (without the quotes) turned up a number of hits.

Follow this link:

at the second picture down on the page. I think that is the exact one you are talking about.

Joe aka 10x

Reply to
10x