a.b.p.f., is it dead?

Since RR and Verizon dropped the binaries news groups, I don't see any posts. I've been looking using Forte Agent. Where are wreckers posting images these days?

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

a.b.p.w.

Reply to
Leon

Yep it's dead for me. Verizon customer, Just checked. But I have been using Mortz news server. No binaries though, oh well.

Reply to
evodawg

I've been looking

There have been 4 posts on a.b.p.f during June. Most of the recent posts that I have seen there have also been posted to a.b.p.w

Reply to
Dan Coby

Are you talking about not seeing post to this news group or the binary groups? This group's traffic have been slightly below normal. If it's the binaries, your email address indicates you have Verizon for an ISP. What service are you using to access the binary news groups?

Reply to
Nova

For those whose ISP is not censoring them, or who have 3rd party nntp service: "alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking"

Still active ... there have been 196 posts in June to date in abpw.

Reply to
Swingman

Agent newsreader

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Agent newsreader is not the service, it's just a software program designed to access an online service. Or, possibly you're talking about Agent Premium News,

which *is* a service and the one I happen to use. And yes, there's been a number of messages this June posted in ABPW.

Reply to
Upscale

Not just Verizon dropped the alt.binaries, I understand Time Warner has done the same thing.

In the email I got from Verizon, they said that attempting to access the binaries through third party news services violates their terms of service as well.

I would be curious to see whether they find a way to block access through the news services.

Also Comcast is testing service based on download amounts somewhere in TX.

Before I spent any money on a news service, I would confirm that you can get where you want to go.

Verizon has preserved access to what they call the Big 8.

I wonder if there is a way to get a pix site set up in rec.* somewhere?

Reply to
Jay R

You must have misread their announcement. They tell you to use a commercial news service if you wish to access news groups they don't carry, provided it is legal to do so.

"If I want to access Newsgroups different from the ones you carry, what are my options?

There are several commercial news providers that you can consider. You may want to check out some options at

content available, posting policies, terms and prices will vary, so you should select the one that is right for you. If you elect to access a non-Verizon newsgroup over the Verizon Network, our terms of service and acceptable use policy will still apply to your use of our Service."

Nova

If Verison told me this, I would tell them a good option is Comcast, which provides GREAT newsgroup service via a free Giganews account. There is a rather large war going on for your ISP dollar between Verison and Comcast. I would not hesitate to let Verison know I was switching to Comcast if they were limiting my newsgroup access, and let them know why. On the other hand, if no one really cares, why should they provide something you don't care about...

Reply to
Jack Stein

Comcast's free Giganews access is limited to 2GB per month. If you're interested in binaries, that limit will be hit very quickly.

offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+ newsgroups

Reply to
Just Wondering

I'm VERY interested in binaries and I never hit the limit. Not sure why, because with the number of binaries I was getting every day, I should have hit it, but never did. At one time I was looking at hundreds, possibly thousands of pictures every day, and never a whimper from Comcast.

Reply to
Jack Stein

A few years ago Verizon also gave up on managing there own newsgroup service and they contracted with Giganews. There was no download limit on Giganews' news server through a Verizon account.

A number of different ISP have recently dropped the "alt" groups. I'll be surprised if Comcast doesn't follow suit.

Reply to
Nova

Just out of curiousity, what is a.b.p.f? alt.binaries.pictures.??? fatso? flatulance? f-ups? free-for-all?

inquiring minds want to know

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

Given the context, I would suspect "furniture".

The OP might want to consider alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. Personally I just got a flickr account (it's free if you don't want to be able to display full 8 megapixel images).

Reply to
J. Clarke

Smaug Ichorfang wrote in news:Xns9ACFA04CD560goblinbiter@

207.115.33.102:

Maybe ....furniture

Reply to
Han

The OP realizes his mistake. :-)

It is a.b.p.w.

I'm still upset about the change and probably will change providers. I'm curious about EarthLink satellite service. I loose Verizon every time it thunders anyway. Verizon's tech support technicians(?) are not very knowledgeable. I suppose if I worked all night, I wouldn't be either.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

a.b.p.f was/is alt.binaries.fun a cartoon specific site that is just that. Seems to be a limited number of posters that had/have humorous pictures to post

a.b.i.f. ,is a similar site. A group of posters that delve into morphing/face changing and some darn funny cartoons (at times). These folks have T-shirts and a map of where all the posters live,. conus and otherwise. Never posted to it, but used to check in daily to see the new cartoon/pictures, plus some neat background pics.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Hall

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in news:H4Kak.228$713.41@trnddc03:

Satellite suffers from terrible latency. What that means (to the layman) is that you click on a link, then wait 1/2 second for the page to even begin loading. That compounds quickly, and just doesn't feel "fast."

You're better off with another Usenet provider. Thankfully, you don't have to stick to Verizon's services for Usenet. (Go ahead and call Verizon and tell them you don't want to pay for a service they've made unusable for you. Maybe you'll get a few bucks off your internet, probably not.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper