"Jam" clamp

A kit project I've been working on needs a six-foot clamp and either two- or four-foot clamp (depending on the kit) for assembly. I don't feel that I can tell the purchasers to go buy the necessary clamps for just this one project; so I tackled the job of trying to design a clamp that'd be so inexpensive that it could just be discarded once the kit had been assembled.

The stock is either 1"x6" or 2"x6" (again depending on the particular kit) being glued to make a box. My design supports the full 5½" on one side and applies pressure to the exact center on the other side - regardless of the thickness of the stock (within a ±½" range).

It was an interesting trig/geometry problem; and I'll post photos on ABPW of the surprisingly simple solution - perhaps the idea will come in handy to someone else one day.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Tue, Aug 10, 2004, 6:19pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@iedu.com (Morris=A0Dovey) says: A kit project I've been working on needs a six-foot clamp I tackled the job of trying to design a clamp that'd be so inexpensive that it could just be discarded once the kit had been assembled.

Yep, should work fine.

I've got to like homemade cam clamps. Had a couple of 4' long, but wasn't using them, so cut them down to 2'. I'll probably want a couple of 4' clamps soon. Besides being extremely inexpensive to make, and simple, I like 'em, because with 4', you can clamp any size under 4'. 'Course if you're clamping something a foot wide, shorter is handier - but you "could". No prob to make one that the end bolts on a piece of 1"X2' or

2"x2', or even 2"X4', however long. Then just unbolt until the next time. Better yet, hang it on the wall, next to the ceiling, until next time.

Used the cam clamp idea on my planer sled. Neat.

JOAT Jesus was a Ford man, that's why he walked everywhere.

GREEN ONIONS

J T

Morris Dovey wrote in news:kNcSc.18$ah5.111418 @news.uswest.net:

Hey Morris...the Jam Clamp2.jpg failed on my machine, the .gif part came though ok, could you reload it the jpg part again?

GJP

Reply to
GJP

Morris Dovey wrote in news:kNcSc.18$ah5.111418 @news.uswest.net:

Cancel that request for another upload of the two jpg's, I find that it is my WinXP box screwing up cuz I just tried a d/l with the old Win98 box and all three pics arrived ok....now what the hell is giving me an "internal error" on this new WinXP box?(G) Thanks for the original d/l BTW.(G)

GJP

Reply to
GJP