It got me. -Kickback

Page 1 of 2
Had my 'first' experience with kickback today. I was cutting a small 4" by 4" square board of walnut for some shims and 'wham', right in the lower stomach (off to the side). It felt like I was kicked by a mule. Almost made a trip to the ER to check for internal damage. Just a big bruise and a damaged ego. Had me thinking that if I had a more powerful saw this would have been a lot worse.
Could have been prevented but I was just quickly cutting a few shims.
Stupid stupid stupid.
NO splitter. NO push stick.
Got me thinking that a leather shop apron would of helped. Any of you guys use them for a last line of defense? Where is a good place to buy a good one?
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Glad to hear you're OK! My only real kickback was a similar situation. It freakin' HURT! BIG TIME!
I'd skip the apron and put the splitter on.
B A R R Y wrote:

Would a splitter necessarily help? I think when this happened to me (it happens *very* fast!) I was just completing about a 5" cut, perhaps 16" or 18" long off of a piece of 1/2" plywood perhaps 12" wide. At the very end of the cut the piece came away from the fence and caught the blade. I am not sure that a splitter would have been able to stop it. I'm certainly not say don't use one - just that things can still happen.
Harvey

One purpose of a splitter is to prevent the already cut wood from rotating away from the fence and catching the rising teeth. If your splitter dosen't do that, it's not properly set up.
A board that can't catch a rising tooth can't kick back.

Well, if your piece of wood is shorter than the length of the exposed teeth you can have a splitter properly set up and it may not ever come into play.
On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 19:36:23 GMT, "Leon"

Excellent point, originally lost on me.
I like shop-made jointer style push blocks with replaceable expendable faces (Staples $1 mouse pads contact cemented in place <G>), with the blade only slightly higher than the work, for small and narrow parts. Think "tightwad's Grrrriper".

That should work...;~)
I ended up buying the Gripper only after seeing it demo'ed at the show. I was more convinced when I learned that you can buy replacement parts.
On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 19:36:23 GMT, "Leon"

My thoughts when I read the OP saying he was cutting a 4" square workpiece into bits.
That's not long enough to ride the rip fence and it's not big enough to use a miter gauge.
A cutoff sled maybe; better a bandsaw.

I would have been using a sled for anything that small, especially since at that size, it's difficult to really guarantee square cuts without a sled.
eclipsme wrote:
| Would a splitter necessarily help? I think when this happened to me | (it happens *very* fast!) I was just completing about a 5" cut, | perhaps 16" or 18" long off of a piece of 1/2" plywood perhaps 12" | wide. At the very end of the cut the piece came away from the fence | and caught the blade. I am not sure that a splitter would have been | able to stop it. I'm certainly not say don't use one - just that | things can still happen.
The splitter is a /preventitive/. If the splitter also has anti-kickback pawls, then /they/ would have held the piece (while the blade shredded it, if that were the situation).
I went out and bought a pair of Board Buddies to use in conjunction with my saw's splitter/anti-kickback pawls - like wearing both belt _and_ suspenders.
Even with those double safeguards, I stay out of the "line of file".

Must be the time of year when people look to improving their table saws. Yesterday, I bought Lee Valley's magnetic featherboard combo set. Still trying to figure out how by turning the knobs on top, the rare earth magnets let go. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pU999&cat=1,41080,51225&ap=1
Also picked up a microjig splitter and a zero clearance insert. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pQ151&cat=1,41080,51225&ap=1 http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p0283&cat=1,41080,51225&ap=1
Customize and build yourself a sturdy combo hold-down/push stick "fence straddler" ala Shopsmith.
I should add: When I went back to survey the damage I noticed that my zero clearance ash throat plate was cracked in half. Strange.
Also, my project was half assembled behind me. If it didn't hit me it would have gone through the ply sides of my dresser. I guess I "saved" it. :(

That would've been the arse end getting caught up in the teeth of the blade and getting whacked down into the throat as it went past.
On the subject of unexpected kick-backs: last year my wife and I were drafting a herd of 3 y.o. bulls and one of them, as he went through the gate next to me, unexpectedly let fly and got me right in the middle of the back. I found myself flat on the ground right under the feet of another 10 bulls or so. My one thought was: "I hope these guys don't get spooked" as I scrambled to get my hands and feet back under me ... ... that one was nice and yellow and blue for some time as well :-).
Put some arnica cream on it, it helps.
cheers, -P.
I swear by use the gripper for small parts or a homemade version. A push stick could slip off.

The push stick I "usually" use extends over the stock. It looks like the letter L with a replaceable dowel on the lower left side of the L.

Hmmm, fairly similar to my own experience.

The good news is that you only do it once, unless you are a real SLOW learner.

Me too. Now I use a push stick all the time, even although 90% of my cutting is on a bandsaw.

It should help a little, a bulletproof apron would be better!
Barry

Don't know if the picture is on the website or not, but one that will chill you to the bone is in last month's Fine Woodworking --
A thin piece pierced through and through a plastic glue bottle _without_ turning the bottle over...consider in the abdomen w/ that. : (
Be careful, guys!!!
Stoutman wrote: | Had my 'first' experience with kickback today. I was cutting a | small 4" by 4" square board of walnut for some shims and 'wham', | right in the lower stomach (off to the side). It felt like I was | kicked by a mule. Almost made a trip to the ER to check for | internal damage. Just a big bruise and a damaged ego. Had me | thinking that if I had a more powerful saw this would have been a | lot worse.
Glad you're ok.
| Could have been prevented but I was just quickly cutting a few | shims.
And safety doesn't matter if the job is small?
| Stupid stupid stupid. | | NO splitter. NO push stick.
Agreed (BTDT)
| Got me thinking that a leather shop apron would of helped. Any of | you guys use them for a last line of defense? Where is a good | place to buy a good one?
I doubt it'd help much unless it was lined with steel plate.

Tis painful had one couple years ago right thigh was B&B for a month
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentide699&stc=1&d 80822462