unexpected introduction to kickback

Greetings all,

I purchased a small tablesaw a few weeks ago to rip some lumber and everything had been going great. Thi past weekend I experienced kickback in the worse way. I've always read about it but I never thought it would happen to me.

I was crosscuting a 2x4 of all things and a piece just flew out of the table saw and was thrown 40 feet past my head. I couldn't believe what I saw. I'm thinking it was a freak accident.

I go forth and do furhter crosscuts and this time I was standing in front of the saw. More wood was thrown from the saw except this time it me directly on the "johnson". I was seeing stars and hearing orchestral music after that one.

Luckily, the wood missed the "twins" (which would have nearly killed me), but it got the "johnson" and boy did it hurt. I've learned since then to stand to the side of the saw if possible in the event kickback occurs.

Reply to
edog

From your description there is nothing "freak" about it. From what you've posted, it looks more like the clueless use of a dangerous tool. If that sounds harsh, it will pale by comparison with missing digits, a hand, or even death from pierced intestines

As you have found out, a table saw is a singularly piss poor crosscutting device, unless you use a miter gauge or well designed crosscut sled, with the later being safer.

You have been lucky thus far, and even the above won't help much more. Take it to heart and quit until you learn more about the methods and ways to use the table saw safely.

There are some good books available with a minimum amount of search.

Reply to
Swingman

You need to spend some time with someone and learn how to use a tablesaw. It takes absolutely no effort to cross cut on a tablesaw without risking kickback - you are doing something very wrong.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I don't know Swing, sounds a lot like somebody taking advantage of high tide and a good fishing moon. Casting it out and reeling them in. Either that or a Darwin award candidate.

You be careful down there.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I believe there are two ways to have kickback when crosscutting. One is to not use a miter gauge and the other is to use both a miter gauge and fence at the same time. Results can be very bloody! Dave

Reply to
Dave W

Guys,

Thanks for your comments. I don't know what happened. I ripped quite a bit of lumber in that time frame without incident. It could have been an issue with the splitter being out of alignment.

Reply to
edog

When the splitter is out of alignment the wood won't go any further. Read what Swingman said again.

Josie

Reply to
Jois

I hope you are a troll. If not, please don't use power tools until you get some instruction.

Reply to
Toller

One more: using the rip fence to crosscut.

Reply to
Stephen M

That sure sounds like using the miter gage and fence at the same time. Don't do that.

Reply to
CW

CW,

I do believe that's what I might have done. Can someone explain why that happens ? Unknowingly, this had to be an idiotic thing to do but please refrain from insults . I just wasn't aware of it.

Thanks

Reply to
edog

Thanks, Frank ... we're starting to feel a little like a deer in the crosshairs down here. ;)

A big plus is all the neighbors are pitching in and helping each other out ... Tom Watson could write a book about the finer side of human behavior I've seen the past three days.

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman

Kickback happens the rear of the saw blade makes (significant) contact with the workpiece or offcut. The front of the blade pushes down and forward (this is good). The back of the blade pushes *UP* and forward (this is bad).

When things are going right, the back of the blade rides in the kerf (the hole you just cut in the board). When workpiece or cutoff twists in such a way that the back of the blade can makes contact, then the wood is lifted and thrown forward (kickback).

In your specific situation, if the offcut is trapped between the rip fence and the blade. A little bit of vibration can cause the offcut to touch the blade. Think about what happens then that offcut rotates counter-clockwise. (Try this in slow motion with the saw turned off if you must) The leading edge of that offcut pinches even more and makes better contact with the rear of the blade, resulting in P-twang! The next thing you know, your bowel feels refreshingly unencumbered.

Always let your offcut fall away from the blade; never trap it.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Most likely crosscuting using the fence - either use a standoff block if using the fence for spacing/positioning OR just use the miter gauge and do NOT have the wood in contact with the fence at all. Crosscut sled would be an even better idea

John

Reply to
john

Using miter gauge and FENCE with narrow stuff can catch/trap the wood between the fence and the blade, and bingo - kickback

You CAN use the fence and a miter gauge together safely, just clamp a short piece of plywood/etc to the fence at least 6inched in front of the forward edge of the blade, so that you reference for repeated cuts on the added piece of wood on the fence, but your 2x4 (or whatever) is clear of the added wood when it finishes the cut - thus the cutoff is no longer able to be trapped between the fence and the blade

John

Reply to
john

Pendel: "...and do we dress to the right or left sir?... "

Osnard: "Never know where the bloody thing is. Bobs around like a wind sock."

Dhakala

Encouraging, isn't it? In 1993 we had major flooding here. On the first night one of the local TV anchors reported that he'd had a phone call to the effect that a few volunteers to fill sandbags would be appreciated. I was there in less than five minutes - and five minutes after that I glanced behind me to see a line of at least ten people waiting for a turn with the shovel I was using. Three sandbags later they started asking: "Aren't you tired /yet/?"

I found out later that the call for "a few volunteers" brought out more than 8,000 people. We lost the battle with the rising rivers; but I've never felt more proud of my neighbors. If you can, snap pictures of those helping others...

Stay safe.

Morris Dovey

If you are crosscutting and the wood goes anyware near a splitter you need to TURN THE SAW OFF and learn to read a good book on safe use of the table saw.

You have been very very lucky. Your luck is not likely to be as good in the long run.

Reply to
marks542004

Why would the wood passing the splitter cause a problem - with cross cutting or with ripping?

Reply to
Mike Marlow