Is this a US-only group?

Page 2 of 4
Oh well that's what you get when your the 51st state :)

I have been to Oz and just bought a very expensive sander from Oz. I wish I could live in Oz, but I don't have the 1/2 million I need to prove that I don't 'need' to live in Oz. You live on the finest island on this earth. You have everything you need to live wonderful lives, except good beer, nice looking women and you drive on the wrong frickin' side of the road. Those traffic circles really messed with my head, dude.
DAMN, I had a good time there......
(you know I'm kidding ya about the wimmin there, right, mate?)
Robatoy wrote:

As for the Beer, it must be an acquired taste, as don't find the Yankee stuff much good, but it sure is a lot better than the Pommy liquid with a beer label on it. Sheesh, if you don't like "Round-a-bouts", don't visit Kalgoorlie, I get dizzie just nicking down the street ;)
all the best John
John B wrote:

If you visit, ask us about "microbrew" before you head up. It may change your opinion of American beer!

Yes there is a Winery near here "Charleville Vineyard Brewery" they brew a nice assortment. Bit expensive though but mighty tasty.
Mark
John B wrote:

What's Bunnings?
I plan to visit Oz and New Zealand one day, but I know there's far too many beautiful things to see to be shopping for tools. <G>
B A R R Y wrote:

Bunnings is a joke !!! It's a "Hardware Ware House" with nothing in it :) Probably similar to your Big Box stores. That's if your American.
Regards John
B A R R Y wrote:

Barry, Don't bother with them 2 hills the other side of the ditch, then again it'd be quiet as all the locals now live in OZ ;) "Except for the Sheep" regards John
"B A R R Y" wrote in message

Live/traveled throughout in Oz in my younger days when Yanks were a rarity ... found the beer good and the women truly friendly. :)
I'm basically color blind and the only time I've ever seen green was the North island of New Zealand (BTW, those little white specks on the sides of the mountains were sheep). A truly beautiful country, from North to South ... and the women were truly friendly.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

The nearest thing to HD

There's always time for tools
Barry

*group hug* Canada here standing on guard for thee and willing to share all I know about sub-zero glueing techniques.
You eel-pie munching, warm beer slurping peeps are truly my favourite crowd. Truly.
How can I be of service?
Robatoy wrote:
<expurgated>
Wow!

LOL.. One year, I took the train to Dover (from London) to take the ferry from there to Belgium. Turns out, we missed one and 'had' to stay in Dover for the night. We closed the pub called Golden Arrow and were adopted by a few locals who got the biggest kick out my asking the question: Where is Vera Lynn's statue? We're in touch today, and I have tried on several occasions to make it past Jolly Ol'..on my way to my home-country, but I seem to get stuck in the UK every time I try to get through it. So steeped in history. What a wonderful place. Warm beer...hey..Lucas fridges, right?
Robatoy wrote:
> So steeped in history. What a wonderful place. Warm beer...hey..Lucas > fridges, right?
Lucas as in "The Prince Of Darkness"?
Lew

That's the great thing about this NG. With the exception of tool/ lumber outlets and some brand names, every other aspect of woodworking is the same and the language is truly international. I'm a bit of an odd resident, though. I'm a Yank from Boston but I've lived in the UK for the last 27 years. And when I really want to beat myself up, I go to the Amazon U.S. web site and look at all the wonderful CHEAP (with current ROE, even CHEAPER!) tools and curse whoever invented customs duties and shipping costs.
FoggyTown

It's only money - look what you get instead. ;-)

It is sad but true that the US has a lot more people who can/do crafts of all sorts. For example: When we moved to Germany in 77 I brought along all my stained glass stuff thinking I could buy my precious hand- blown 'antique' style glass at the source- and cheaper than I had in California. I was turned away at the door and informed that only serious- guild related people could buy glass there. I had to make a trip to the States, and buy more glass, and haul it back to Germany! Just one more story: so far I've sold over 200 books, and sales in Canada and Australia have been a good part of that- but just one sale to Ireland- none in the rest of Europe. Best I can figure there just aren't very many woodworkers there- at least not those interested in small projects. One exception is for carvers- lots of wonderful carvers in England. Donna Menke
Since you are in the UK, what is the skinny on the Cutty Sark?
Lew

I almost got sick to my stomach when this showed up in my mailbox:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/6675381.stm

Bad restoration and preservation efforts in the '50s caused immense ongoing damage to the frames. Infighting for decades did nothing to solve this until the whole hull was no longer structurally safe. Then the masts were removed and replaced with lampposts. A week ago, Cutty Sark had already become a farcical Disneyfication with increasingly little even worth preserving. It was a faked-up box with some interesting exhibits in
The best thing that could happen would tbe to scrap the Cutty Sark and spend the money on other equally or more deserving maritime history projects. It's not even a unique iron-framed tea clipper in the UK - The City of Adelaide / Carrick has been rotting away in Scotland for years now, in need of a budget that's less than half the Cutty Sark already had before the fire. Now the push is to demolish and scrap the thing completely. <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6676245.stm
Of course re-directing a budget outside London isn't going to happen. The Cutty Sark will probably be rebuilt into an even less original boat-shaped box (avoiding that nasty wood as it's an obvious fire hazard) and will be used to milk ignorant tourists in a progressively more trivial "experience". The budget will be inflated, and it will still over-run by some obscene margin. Even if it were ditched and the allocated money freed up for some other maritime history project, the Olympian greed of 2012 would just steal it, as they've already done to the lottery funding.
The Birkenhead naval museum closed last year. After being the only thing that kept Birkenhead docks from being an abandoned ghost town for some years, yuppification and the need for a car park to serve flat conversions in the warehouse buildings drove the museum from the site. This also includes one of the very few WW2 U-boat survivors, the only large Type IX oceanic U-boat. Yet this is up in the North, so it doesn't matter.
HMS Warrior (a ship individually more significant than Cutty Sark, from a period that's just as significant) was rebuilt in Hartlepool, a city that desperately needs some good news and a tourist attraction. She was then whipped away down to the already-affluent South coast by an act of sheer piracy.
HMS Caroline (the last survivor of Jutland) is ignored in Belfast harbour and hardly anyone knows she's even there. <http://codesmiths.com/dingbat/lj/20061101_ireland/ Nearby is the Nomadic, last (albeit smaller) survivor of the Titanic fleet. She was rescued by local efforts, not by London's vast budgets.
The problem with the Cutty Sark is that it's in London. London can piss money away on any rubbish (the Mandeldome, the Olympics, Wembley, Cutty Sark) and no-one expects it to work, or to be held to account for vast budget over-runs and dismal failure of results. Yet outside the M25, valuable projects achieving good results and popular attractions can't even afford their shoestring budgets.
Here in Bristol we've just lost the recently-built Wildwalk owing to a lack of secure long-term funding for it. Also the immensely popular Industrial Museum was forced to close against everyone's wishes, because the council wish to redevelop the site into a worthless "Bristol theme attraction" (a crappy "interactive" website in a building, with no real exhibits), then hope that this fails and frees the site up for another profitable apartment development. You could finance both of these from the budget the Olympics spends on junkmail.

LAMPOSTS!? Good Grief!! The restoration efforts of the 50s may have been bad, but I had an enjoyable few trips to see her during the early 60s. I have a very strong memory of wandering 'tween decks hunched over to protect my noggin - and I'm 5'6". But Lamposts?! What a desecration. Be better to tow her out to sea and sink her.
snips

Is that pub in a cave still open? The one supposedly there since 900.