Is my wife crazy?

Page 2 of 2

It has been a while since I looked at garden tools. But $40 for a Dandelion Weeding Trowel? Looks kind of like a turning gouge. Doesn't seem right to invest $40 for a tool for a WEED!!
I keep thinking about I guy I knew growing up who used some kind of flame thrower to take care of the weeds on his lawn. He ended up with burnt spots on the lawn, but the grew in and he ended up with a nice green lawn. But every spring, he had those burnt spots.
    "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> writes:

I have a propane flame weeder, but I don't use it on the lawn. It is great on the brick walkway. Fire is always more fun than round-up.
--
Drew Lawson
"Please understand that we are considerably less interested

oH indeed they do! Go get the automatic model.
A duck. george
Limp Arbor wrote:

Try looking for that grand old English word "dibber" - that's yet another word American's misspell!

According to your grand old OED the Middle English word was "dibble".
--
www.ewoodshop.com

Is your OED a Hernia Edition? I have the Websters version of that. Six inches thick and has a whole helluva lot of words in it, none of which are textable. ;)
-- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger
On Tue, 31 May 2011 10:28:30 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor

Hey, just turn down one of her dil...erm, never mind.
-- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

LA:
I've seen and used them. "Dibble" was the only word known here. You can make one out of a big spike epoxied into wood that gets padded for comfort if you like. A bike handlebar grip would also work for traction if you have one about.
Try eBay. I'm sure if you searched (or saved a search) under (dibble OR dibber) (antique OR vintage) you could find a good one inexpensively. If the handle is tight and solid, you shouldn't have any worries.
The nicest one that hit the eyes was an exemplar bearing a strong, strong resemblance to one of the kind of burnishers used by jewelers. The fabricator used a swift-looking, stout piece of polished sard for the working end. Scratching and abrasion in the right kind of soil might be a problem--and you wouldn't want to be prying with it--but, dang, it was a looker.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
On May 31, 11:28pm, "Edward Hennessey"

Tried 5 Garden stores and the the first 4 had no idea what I was talking about. The 5th one knew exactly what it was and had them for $9.99.
SWMBO was happy and liked that it had a T handle similar to this:
http://www.dibble.com/dibble-tool.gif

Tried 5 Garden stores and the the first 4 had no idea what I was talking about. The 5th one knew exactly what it was and had them for $9.99.
SWMBO was happy and liked that it had a T handle similar to this:
http://www.dibble.com/dibble-tool.gif
LA:
The price is right. She might later like a long-handled dibble if her knees don't take kindly to the shuffling. Welding up a T handle tube on a piece of rebar and put a perpendicular foot step a few inches up from the sharpened working end and the operation eases.
If she wants to gauge penetration depth, the simplest way is to tightly wrap a piece of flag tape at the desired height.
Though germination procedures vary, success is greatest if you put a seed that has just germinated in the hole. For a lot of things, some time between moistened paper towels vertically filed between plastic separators in a plastic box kept in a cooler dark place works great. The root should go down with gravity, so she can orient them easily on planting. Optimum time for removing them is right before the upward part of the stem starts to unfold leaves. Plant that upward end a bit below loose ground cover and the seedling will have protective time to adjust to the sun before coming up.
She if she buys the notion that the maker's guild slogan for these instruments is "A little dib'll do ya." Don't be surprised if she wants to run her fingers through your hair after that. It's an Earth Mother thing.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
Limp Arbor wrote:

Of course she is.
They all are. (i.e., Lucy Ricardo, Gracie Allen, Edith Bunker, Frances *****, [my first wife]).

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=where+to+buy+a+dibble%3F
In article

LOL! I have a bucket of them for an "art in the park" day on Sunday, along with other turnings (pens, votive candle holders and potpourri bowls) and my new line of cigar box gitfiddles...
I make them out of cedar, burn 1" depth marks with wire, and finish with shellac.
dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca says...

FWIW, Google Shopping finds a variety of them with keywords "garden dibble" and "planting dibble".