Squeaky Floors! Driving Me Crazy!

I've seen a lot of posts about squeaky hardwood floors, but for some reason I think my problem is different. We have original 1962 hardwood (oak) flooring and the squeaking is out of control. I can't get to it from underneath unless I cut up the ceiling below. I've tried finishing nails, but to no avail. My next solution will be to try baby powder or powdered graphite lubrication. Any other suggestions?

One thing I don't understand is why people suggest using finishing nails instead of flooring nails like the originals.

My hypothesis is that most of the squeaking is coming between the sub-floor and the joists rather than between the floor boards themselves- is this possible? That's why I'm reluctant to drive in those breakable screws....

I'm not likely to tear up the floors, but it's been a dinner topic for some time now.

Thanks in advance.

By the way, anyone guess how much it would be to tear up and replace? It's an upstairs hallway- about 4' X 12', and I live in the Chicago suburbs.

Reply to
Moo

If its only 4x12 it wont cost much so get some good screws and screw away, Pre drill the oak so it doesnt split or rip it out.

Reply to
m Ransley

I saw this on "Ask this old House". I don't work for this company or anything, this just the first website I found that carried the screws.

they are screws that have a weakend shaft so that when you screw them through your hardwood floor, into the joist below, they break off below the surface of the finished floor. This is supposed to tightly couple the hardwood to the joist or subfloor and stop the squeak. You can fill in the small hole left by the screw shaft the same as you would the finish nail hole.

Reply to
brianmoyers