Squeaky Hardwood Floors

Hi,

I am having problems with squeaky hardwood floors. I am applying the baby power treatment and it works in some cases. It appears to me that these floor have been neglected for many a year.

We bought the house 2 years age and it has been a problem since then.

Is there any solution I can apply, that world inject moisture back into it, ie liquid wax etc..

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Bulach

One of the classic squeaky floor solutions is to tap a small nail between the joist and the floor to take up a small gap. You need a helper squeaking the floor so you can find the exact spot.

Reply to
Nick Hull

It is often the subfloor that is the cause of the squeaks. Des

then.

Reply to
Des Perado

Hi Nick,

My floors are squeaking like crazy and it isn't just one spot, half of the floor squeaks. This is our second winter in this house. The 20+ y/o hardwood floors have been abused by previous owners and need to be sanded but that will have to wait.

Other discussions on this subject mention a special type of screw that people use to fix the floor from above but I know it's better to fix it from below. Thing is, I have no idea how to do that.

Below this floor is the unfinished basement. I realize I'll have to take the insulation down to get to the subfloor and that's fine but since a very large part of the floor is squeaking, where do I start from? Do I use nails or screws? What size?

Also, over the years, this floor has sunken in, and that's the area that squeaks the most.

Thanks.

Reply to
Turandot

Bump:

Reply to
Turandot

The special screws are called Squeeeeek No More (yes, 5 e's) mfd by O'Berry Enterprises, 664 Exmoor Ct., Crystal Lake, IL 60014, (800)

459-8428. They aren't infallible but they sometimes do cure squeeeeeks. They go right through carpet into floor joists, require a power screwdriver, & are pretty easy to use. Brookstone used to sell them but I think now a different catalog outfit sells them.

Art

Reply to
Art

Lowe's carries them...and they work great.

Reply to
Curmudgeon