Is MDF board good for cabinets

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@HOTMAIL.COM wrote in news:1164416733.146000.283020@ 45g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

Melamine works well for the garage. Not much more expensive than MDF.
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 00:24:07 -0600, "Henry St.Pierre"

I agree, especially in a climate-controlled garage. Very easy to clean, and impervious to lots of spills and leaks.
On another note... One of my local suppliers sells pre-finished maple plywood for ~ $15 a sheet more than the unfinished stuff. The finish is some sort of durable, factory applied, pre-cat style lacquer, similar to pre-finished flooring. Using the finished side _in_ makes for a very nice, not very expensive cabinet box where the outside could be painted. When edge banded, and installed finished side up, the stuff makes nice inside shelves, too!

That is great stuff. Ideal for what Mr. Mustangs7S ( IF that's his real name<g>) is going to do. I don't know what the budget is, but I find that this system pays for itself quickly, even on a one-time job:
http://tinyurl.com/yajdr2
Just buy the basic set-up, because it is all you need for a simple project. I wish more people would embrace the 32 mm system. It makes way too much sense.... that is for functional projects, it has no place in real 'furniture'.
Another minimal investment, if he has a router, is a biscuit set-up. Again, for that one-off project.
http://tinyurl.com/yjyebq
For just over $ 100.00 in tooling, one can make some decent projects. A basic pocket-hole jig can also add a lot of versatility.
....and, after a successful garage cabinet project, he'll be back soon, with questions like: Left tilt ot right tilt? LOL.... oh wait... DAGS first!
Good luck, bro'!

I was using some of that today. My supplier used an epoxy acrylate finish. Great stuff for carcasses and backs. Since I needed to paint it for this cubscout project I'm doing, I'm hoping that my scuff sanding with 120 will be good enough for the primer to bite into.
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
[snipper to brevitize]

Now, was than an "epoxy" or a "two-part" <g,d & r>
(I was going through some archives.. seems that "epoxy vs two-part" horse is pretty much flogged to death by now, eh?)

Yeah. Those fellas were right, though.
I was using field language and should have been using more educated language.
Such is life...
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
two-part = epoxy. scotch & water = crime.