Is lying about the reason for a war an impeachable offense?

Page 4 of 13
Just read last week that, in the current defense authorization bill, Congress cut ~4.5billion in spending on troop and real military stuff/support to diminish the blow of adding $9 billion in PORK (a lot of non-defense related stuff). Yup, priorities are clear. ANd to show how things are muzzled these days, you didn't hear much from the press about this, now did ya?
Yup, them thar Republicans are sure pro supporting the troops (both parties actually had a hand in the pork, but only one party is in the majority).
Renata
wrote: -snip-

Strong in this one, the force of the Dark Side is. "
Luke, study the stats, Luke, study the stats."
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:00:18 -0700, Fly-by-Night CC

Having lived through the 90's in the aerospace industry I can tell you all about the "stats". Development funding and pocurement reduced such that we lost between 25 and 33% of our workforce. Each new round of layoffs had a new means of accomplishing them and new criteria -- yeah, exciting times. The only segment of government that suffered from *real* cuts (vs. the phony slowing the rate of growth is a cut "cuts") was the defense department.

Anybody who does not understand that the democrats are weak on defense simply doesn't know American history in the modern era.
dwhite

Silly me... I wasn't aware FDR or Kennedy was weak on defense. Too bad Clinton gutted the military - otherwise we'd have really trounced them in Afghanistan and Bagdad. Good thing w rebuilt the shock and awe back so quickly - or else who knows what might have happened over the last couple years. Don't forget all those Democrats who fought and died right alongside your boys.
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:48:24 -0700, Fly-by-Night CC

Historically, FDR and Kennedy were different sorts of dems. FDR was basically forced to rebuild in light of the threat across the Atlantic. Kennedy was dealing with the cold war.
Subsequent dems were quite different -- LBJ had his guns and butter plan where the military took a back seat to domestic affairs. Carter was one who significantly neglected the military. Finally, the last dem inhabitant did make real cuts to the defense department. That shock and awe you are speaking of was primarily a carryover from the previous administrations' buildups and the [sometimes] fortunate circumstance that the pentagon is a very large machine with a huge amount of momentum that takes a long time to change. That said, very few new weapon systems were conceived during the prior administration's reign.

I'm not calling the dems unpatriotic or anything like that, and democrat soldiers have nothing to do with the democrat leadership, which is what I am talking about. Do you really think Kennedy would be a democrat today? I'm not so sure he would be sitting up there with Al Gore, Tom Daschle and Michael Moore. His tax policy was much more conservative. Since then, don't ask me...ask those in the military who see first hand what happens with democrat presidents. From what I have seen, it isn't even much of an argument.
dwhite

That is really an interesting observation... I believe in some aspects he would surely be in the Democrat camp - others, not. Honestly, I am not that familiar with Kennedy's policies and beliefs.
Have you examined how many recent past Republican prez's would approve of today's admin and party? Eisenhower with his parting words warning of the military industrial compex? Nixon had is foibles, but he certainly believed in strengthening foreign relations. Do you think Reagan would be cheering the decisions of today? (I believe we can surmise that George H. is not in full agreement on many of the aspects of the way the Middle East has been handled from his book on his own experiences there.)
I believe the Democrat Party has not changed as much as the Republican Party has in the last 15 years. I'd hazzard a guess that the Repubs are far less recognizeable to their predecessors than the Dems are to theirs.

I think you might have to go back a bit farther than 15 years to get a really big difference, but don't try telling that to Zell Miller. Beyond that, I don't do a lot of guessing about what dead presidents would think about things.
todd

In those days the Republicans were moderates and the Democrats were liberals (sort of). Well, if you go back to the Eisenhower era the Democrats were either liberals or Dixiecrats, who were only Democrats because they were still pissed at the Repubicans from back in the Civil War days and because the KKK never made it as a political party.

After the downfall of Nixon the Republicans party became conservative (sort of) and the Democrats became moderates.

I think that GWB is a lot more like Reagan than either to GHB. Consider how the Reagan administration botched up the deployment to Lebanon.

I think the big change to the Republican Party came between Nixon and Reagan. John Anderson (remember him?) tried to keep the Republicans in the middle but lost out. The Democrats have changed more slowly in response to the Republican change.
--

FF

I'll agree with that. I have never voted for a Democrat. Not that I wouldn't, just never saw one that was worth voting for. The republicans are starting to get unrecognizable though. This president is a serious disappointment.

I actually agree with you on this one to a degree, but almost surely for completely different reasons. Thank you for starting to bottom post.
dwhite
Is was an anomaly. Don't get used to it.
actually agree with you on this one to a degree, but almost surely for

That's OK. I'll just use the killfile instead. Out of sight, out of mind.
dwhite

Yes, you're right, there are more important things. Like voting record and attendance at meetings one is supposed to be at, for instance, which is why I have a huge problem with Kerry.

Indeed.
Let's see. If you're fighting against our army, not in uniform, then you aren't an enemy soldier, you're someone pretending to be a civilian but you aren't. Hm, what could _possibly_ go wrong with that?

Doesn't apply; when you join the enemy, you forfeit that, don't you.

I disagree profoundly with Kerry on several issues that are important to me, so I'll be voting against him. Seeing how he lied about the Assault Weapons Ban, equating them to machine guns (they're not) and saying that lifting the ban on cosmetic features such as bayonet lugs and flash surpressors makes Americans more at danger from Terrorists (what an absurd thing to say, yet he said it)... He's another slicky-boy politician who can't tell the truth about anything. I don't trust him any more than I trusted Clinton, they're both cut from the same cloth. Then the guy misses what, 70%? 80%? of his senate obligations, and he wants a freaking promotion?
I don't think so.

There's one respect in which Kerry is a significant improvement over Clinton. Although he's just as big a liar, he's nowhere *nearly* as skillful at it, nor as convincing. Which makes his lies much easier to spot, and therefore much less dangerous.

Actually, the worst thing to happen to DC since the British burned it in the War of 1812 is the ramming of a commercial airplane into the pentagon. The problem with many people who don't like Bush is that they seem to forget what we are up against. 1000 deaths in the military including traffic accidents? That's GREAT! It is unbelieveable how low that number is. I'd have to look it up, but I think the military loses something like 350 every year in peace time just due to accidents. So take maybe 500 off that 1000. For those who don't think we should have lost any, you are really just saying that we shouldn't be fighting at all. Look at past wars and we lose far more than that in one battle.
dwhite

They don't _forget_, they make the mistake of thinking we should _negotiate_ with 'em. Of course, the people who are intent on killing us see that as a sign of weakness, as evidenced by the Clinton non-actions in this regard. But, they'll not notice that it didn't work and caused more problems, will they.

It's not like anyone was drafted into today's army, and it's not like one volunteers to join the army without knowing what they may be getting into, considering the options, and deciding to do the noble thing and join.
Dave Hinz