Is lying about the reason for a war an impeachable offense?

Page 2 of 13
I'd probably get the Porter Cable, mostly because I don't like yellow tools.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (ModerateLeft) wrote in message

I don't know, and I don;t care.
Is posting irrelevant political stuff on a woodworking group an PLONKable offense?
Most definitely!
PLONK!

Heh, if lying about sex is an impeachable offense (not!), then certainly a lie that has gotten many thousands of people killed certainly is.
Back to lurking :^)
JK
ModerateLeft wrote:

--
James T. Kirby
Center for Applied Coastal Research

Actually, it is.
Ann Coulter's book "High Crimes and Misdemeanors" gives a thorough exposition of the history of impeachment as a tool for removing corrupt public officials, and shows convincingly that it was intended from the beginning, and has historically been used, for just that purpose: removing officials whose immoral or unethical behavior demonstrates that they are unworthy of public office or trust.
In any event, Clinton was *not* impeached for "lying about sex". He was impeached for having committed the _felony_crime_ of lying while _under_oath_. The subject of the lie was not relevant to the bill of impeachment.

Fine -- then let's impeach all the Democrats that said _exactly_ the same things about Saddam and Iraq that GWB said. If he was lying, so were they. See <http://www.rightwingnews.com/quotes/demsonwmds.php for examples.
FWIW, the war has killed fewer people -- on both sides -- than typically died in Saddam's prisons and torture chambers in an equivalent period of time.

There's a difference between lying, and working on the best available intelligence. Even your boys Clinton and Kerry thought that the WMDs were there, remember? Even Kerry says he would also have gone in to Iraq.
At least Bush sticks to his argument, instead of waffling on both sides of the issue trying to play both sides.

I'll go along with you there Dave, although I think Bush was more than willing to accept intelligence that the rest of the world thought was wrong, including the inspectors on the scene.
But the "lying" that got to me was his inability to say "9/11" or "terrorism" without saying "Iraq" or "Saddam" in close proximity.
No, he never said directly that Iraq was responsible for 9/11. In fact, at one time he said they were not. But he implied it with that proximity so many times that over half the American public (according to surveys) believed him.
Strictly speaking, not a lie. But I've seen tornadoes with less "spin" :-).
Once again, let me point out that I've voted for Republican presidential candidates about as often as Democrats. And Kerry is just one more lying politician whose only redeeming virtue is that he's not Bush.
It's Bush and his gang that scare me, not Republicans in general.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Well, when you say "the rest of the world thought was wrong", how does that reconcile with all of the UN resolutions that even the UN agreed he (hussein) was violating?

Seems to be a lot of Al Queda in that part of the world these days?

I didn't see him making that statement at the time, I saw him saying "SH says he's got a bunch of nasties, and the UN and I and our allies are inclined to believe him".

And strictly speaking, Clinton's perpetual lies about the Brady Law "stopping 300,000 felons" couldn't be interpreted as anything _but_ complete and utter lies. He counted any person who was initially denied a firearm purchase as a "felon who was stopped", when in reality nearly every one of them was someone with the same name, who was later allowed to buy the gun they were trying to buy. In all, exactly six people were prosecuted for trying to illegally buy a gun. Now, _that_ is spin.

I think Kerry is cut from the same cloth as Clinton was.
do to some political NG
"Larry writes:

Basically agree, but what really bothers me is Bush's brain, Carl Roe and the war hawks at the pentagon who seem to be running helter skelter with absolutely no oversite.
These people are real trouble and Bush seems unwilling or incapable of handling the situation.
--
Lew

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 03:10:02 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Realizing that there is no way to overcome the visceral hatred of Bush, but it seems that the idea of taking the war to the terrorists rather than waiting around and letting the ACLU prevent any types of police actions that might "profile" or "inconvenience" or "limit the rights of" potential terrorists while they plan their next attack on us seems like a pretty good idea and a practical course of action.
Also appears that Vlad Putin is signing up for this approach as well in light of recent events. Kind of some interesting irony, here in the US, we have rallys and protests objecting to and decrying the war. In Russia, they have rallys and protests demanding action to deal with the terrorists who targeted women and children.
snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com says...

Once again, I agree. I supported the war in Afghanistan (which is still going on).
But Bush et al have yet to convince me that Iraq had anything to do with terrorism except for supporting the Palestinians attacks on Israel. And all the Arab states do that.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<snippage >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So where did the 9/11 terrorists train? Maybe in some of the Al-Queda training camps located in Iraq? At least one of the Al-Queda training camps in Iraq even had an aircraft fuselage used for terrorist training. Since the camps were there, you know that Saddam knew about them and most likely help fund them. He may not have participated DIRECTLY in 9/11, but he certainly was helping Al-Queda.

In the case of John Kerry, his not being Bush is not a redeeming virtue. There are worse things than being Bush (granted not many) and Kerry is one of them.

I am more afraid of Kerry. Questionable military service aside, what he wants the American people to believe he stands for is just 180 degrees out from his near 20 year record in the Senate. I just cannot believe that he has "seen the light" on nearly every issue before this country today. A few issues maybe, but not a complete and total metamorphosis. I think more Americans would die at the hands of terrorists under his leadership. I also think more American soldiers would die at the hands of UN command under his leadership. His socialized healthcare alone would cost the American taxpayers trillions of dollars, and how would he pay for it? He would have no choice but to raise taxes on the very people that he says he will provide relief for. We would probably see some new taxes come in, and some increased, most notably gasoline taxes.

Syria. But even without them, how could freedom loving people such as us let a tyrant such as Saddam keep murdering a man every 30 minutes, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 52 weeks a year, for over 20 years? And that is not including the torture of countless more. All that simply because he could. We should have cleaned up this mistake long ago.
snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net says...

Nice troll :-). Or are you seriously suggesting we go to war with every country controlled by a ruthless dictator? There's a lot of them :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

How about we just limit it to ruthless dictators who have directly threatened us, and have shown the ability and willingness to carry through? Would that work for ya, Larry?
Dave Hinz wrote:

have we gone to war with one of those recently?

Gee, let's see. Um, yes. The lesson here should be "If you say that you're gonna do bad things to us, and we know that you have/had WMD because we bloody well _sold_ 'em to you, then it's a really bad idea to fsck with us because we'll take you seriously and take you out".
Why is it that people keep forgetting about Libya?
And who would that be?

The same one who tried to assassinate one of our presidents and shoot down our pilots. For me, there should be a simple policy. If you are caught trying to assissinate our president, we reserve the right to remove your regime.
dwhite
I've never seen anything more than claims about the assassination attempt. As for trying to shoot down our planes, they were in Iraqi airspace. What would we do about unauthorized foreign fighter aircraft in our airspace?

down