Is crack a common drug for ebay bidders?

Page 7 of 7
It is not just eBay; it is all auctions. I have seen 10 year old generators go for over retail at traditional auctions, and the buyers don't even know if they start.
eBay is particularly bad because it is so big.

Yes. Yes they are. Never, EVER underestimate the amount of stupidity out there. I recently sold a set of saddlebags for my motorcycle because they were smaller than I wanted, and ended up selling them for $40... YES! FORTY DOLLARS... more than I had bought them for. On ebay. When I listed mine they were one of about 10 sets of IDENTICAL saddlebags and the ABSOLUTE BEST I expected to do on them was break even and barely at that.
Here endeth the lesson on human stupidity. And people wonder why the world's in the state it is.

Not just stupidity, but some luck involved, too. For instance, I have a very nice leather duffle up on eBay right now (id: celtic_fiddler), but despite the retail value (well over $100) and the low starting price, I have no bids, and only a handful of 'watchers'.
Oh well. This one is nice enough that I won't mind keeping it. OTOH, if my listing style is not good enough, I'm going to have to get better at it when I start trying to sell my fiddles.
-- http://book-reviews.hostpci.com Book reviews -- Salesmanship & related topics Howard Lee Harkness
Howard notes:

It is a nice looking bag at a reasonable price. I think your basic problem may come from the fact that it's an item everyone already has--often two or three times over. I'd guess I've given away at least six of the dozen I used to have, and I still have five more than I need.
Charlie Self "It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office." H. L. Mencken
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

It's the only such bag *I've* ever possessed... So not *everybody* has one (or more). I don't really need it, but it's nicer than any of my cloth gym bags, so I won't feel really bad if it doesn't sell. I may put it away for a while and try again later.
OTOH, I do need to make sure I learn exactly why it didn't sell, so that I can apply the lesson later. It could be that folks don't really *want* a really nice leather duffle because they would be afraid it might be ripped off or they would feel bad about it getting scuffed or something.
I've got a high-end leather attache that I plan to list on Sunday.
-- http://book-reviews.hostpci.com Book reviews -- Salesmanship & related topics Howard Lee Harkness