Is a finish nailer a superset of a brad nailer?

In other words, if I buy a finish nailer, would there be a need for a brad nailer? I assume the reverse is true. Most of my work would involve "bookshelf" level of nailing.

--

-Jim ©¿©¬

If you want to reply by email its --> ryan at jimryan dot com Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam

Reply to
jtpr

Me a brad nailer. Things large enough to require a finish nailer aren't as likely to move around. The joy of a brad nailer is being able to hold a small piece by hand while nailing.

Not to mention that at the bookshelf level, unless you're talking a toenail "until the glue dries," there are wood joints to use which are easily made. The brad driver attaches the back.

Reply to
George

One does not replace the other. For bookshelf type stuff, I'd go with the brad nailer. A brad nailer is a great tool for quick light assembly, holding glued items in place, jigs, etc. I love mine and use it all the time.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Largely considered different animals. Brad Nailers typically shoot 18g brads, finish nailers 15 or 16g. A Trim Carpenter would probably get the most use from a finish nailers, a wooddorker would likely put more mileage on his brad nailer.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Answer # 4 ;~)

There is some overlap in their applications but just enough so that there is normally no application that is not covered by either. I have both and greatly use the finish nailer over the brad nailer. I view the brad nailer as a temporary and not permanent fastener. Fastened pieces are often very easy to take a part. Many people use the brad nailer to hold pieces until the glue sets. The longer brads can more easily deflect and exit the wood in a different direction than it was shot at. This can happen with a finish nail gun also but is not as likely. The finish nailer shoots nails that are often coated with an adhesive glue that helps the nail hold even tighter.

Brads are CHEAP compared to Finish Nails.

I generally use a finish nail gun on wood 3/4" thick and thicker. I use the brad nail gun for wood up to but not including 3/4" thick. I keep only 4 sizes of nails on hand for these 2 guns. 5/8" and 1-1/8" for the brad nail gun and 1-1/4 and 1-3/4 long for the finish nail gun.

Reply to
Leon