Brad or finish nailer

I know this question has been asked many times but my story is... I need to install about 200 sf of the top-nailed (older style, not the tong & groove type) red oak hardwood floor. We were thinking to use just hammers to do that, but it took us 2 days to install 50 sf in the kitchen, with nail head yet to be sunk. So we decide to get a nail gun for the rest of the job. Now the wood strip is 2" wide and 5/16" thick oak, should I use 18 gauge brad nailer with 1" nail? Or should I go for a 16 gauge finish nailer with 1" nail? Thanks in advance,

Reply to
Larry Guan

I don't know if the 16 ga is best, but I do know the 18 ga brad is wrong. Brads are for tacking things in place, not for long term securing of things like floors. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

From my very limited experience with this, I would not count on a 1 inch brad nail (regardless of 16/18) holding a non t/g floor. I think that I would use at least a 6 or 8 penny finish nail and take another 6+ days to do it or get a 2+ inch power nailer.

My limited 2ç.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

There is a specialized nailer for wood floors. You hit it with a hammer and the nail is driven into the edge of the hardwood flooring. You can likely rent one.

Thunder

Reply to
Rolling Thunder

that's for tongue and groove. he's face nailing neat-edged flooring.

Reply to
bridger

Rolling Thunder responds:

AFAIK, those floor nailers work ONLY with t&g, which the OP said he did not have.

Personally, I'd go for the thicker nail at least 1-1/2" long.

Charlie Self "Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful partner, and you can keep the clubs and the fresh air." Jack Benny

Reply to
Charlie Self

You need a face flooring nailer:

think you can get a face-nail shoe for one of their angled nailers.

Reply to
GigaNews

No brad nail or finish nails for flooring...

Use the correct tool and nails...

can be rented at most rental centers and you need the "face nailer" model.

Larry Guan wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

There will never be a brad or brad nailer that will penetrate with every hit into oak. If you feel you must face nail, then go with a 15 ga. nailer. 16 will probably do the job, but you have to remember, this is OAK>

Reply to
DarylRos