Iron Required

My new project http://www.connoraston.com/albums/18-03 is made up from 2 x 3/4" mdf maple veneereed panels sandwiched together I bought 50mm wide pre glued iron on edging but found it hard to get a common household iron to provide enough constant heat. The question is can you get a dedicated Iron for this that is hand held?
Reggards Connor
Thrift Shop
Walt C

An old cast iron "iron" a hotplate and a 1/4 plate of steel to cover the hot plate, temp selection can be done using a multi meter with temperature measure capabilties. You can even make odd shape irons and heat them.
Markem (sixoneeight) = 618
Sorry Walt I thought you were taking the P*ss, I See what you mean an old heavy Iron no stem holes good idea. Cheers Connor

I knew I saw these somewhere.....seem hard to find;
http://www.vandykes.com/product/02002809 /
http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page 54&cookietest=1
Every site I look at seems to reference using a regular old iron.

Those small hand-'tacker irons' are no way enough to do serious thermal veneering.
The thrift shop idea is a good one...especially if you can find an old iron..one without steam holes... they hold their heat and are worth their weight in gold to me. I always scrounge for those.
Jim Newell wrote:

I have one of those wooden handled veneer irons. I've had better luck with an old clothes iron.