Intersting article on Mahogany harvesting

Yesterday I took my son to his guitar lesson and sat down to read a promotional rag from Taylor Guitars while I waited, drawn by the cover article, "Mahogany Futures". It's an article about how the company has secured a steady supply of Belizean mahogany for use in the making of necks for 70,000 guitars annually (about 12-15 good sized trees per year). While geared toward musicians, it had enough information about woodworking and the hardwood lumber trade to make for interesting reading. The whole magazine can be downloaded as a .pdf from Taylor's site:

Ian Dodd

I'm about halfway through my first big project using Mahogany (Honduran). What an absolutely joyful wood to work with.

Reply to
patrick conroy

----- Original Message ----- From: patrick conroy Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 7:11 PM Subject: Re: Intersting article on Mahogany harvesting

I'll second that. I used quite a bit of Honduran Mahogany in a sailboat that I built. Wonderful to work with. It was hard to find locally in lengths greater than 15 ft though :) Interesting article Ian. Thanks.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Mahaney