Article on faux finishes

About a year ago, I was reading an article on staining poplar or pine to imitate other woods like mahogany or cherry. I've looked through all of the back issues of my magazines and now can't find the article. I am working on some stage props that I want to look like 17th century furniture pieces so this article or any other suggestions for sources would be helpful to me. The wood doesn't need to be convincing up close, just similar from about 30' away.

Thanks for any help,

Richard

Richard

I remember that one. Pretty sure it was in Wood, but I don't remember which issue, and I don't remember where it is either. :-(

Reply to
Doug Miller

Did a quick search of the Wood article index and found the following:

  1. Faux Finishes SEP 2007 178 32 - Crackle, Pewter and Leather looking finishes - This article available at the WOOD STORE
  2. Faux Finish Like a Pro-Tim Vander Well Dec 2000 129 78 - Plans available at the WOOD STORE
  3. Finishing - Painted Stone Finishes Apr 1991 42 76
Reply to
pat_edfischer

Thanks guys, I think I found it in the Feb/March 2005 issue of wood. I going to the public library in a few minutes to get it. It is strange because I didn't start woodworking until November of 2005, so this must have been an article I saw just scanning through some back issues at the library a couple of years ago. Its strange how little things get stuck in your brain and then pop up when you need them :)

Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Richard