INSTRUCTIONS - Finding Books

OK, I know this won't do a lot of good, but maybe for a few minutes.

I constantly see people posting about books here, which ones to get, where to get them. You'd think they were in about the 3d grade. Hell, even school kids know about the library.

Don't ask somebody what book you should get. Make up your own mind. First thing, go to a library, a book store, a used book store, flea market, anywhere there's books. Look thru the book, see if it's something you'd be interested enough in to buy. THEN buy it. I get most of my books from a used book store. They're very inexpensive, and often in as new condition. It's not unusual to pay $5 for a book that sellf for $35 at Barnes and Noble, and looks like new.

You want to find a book on the web? First off, you've got a computer, so you should, I say again SHOULD, know about on-line searches. But, you'll still ask where you can find whatever. Start with google. I look up quite a variety and number of books on-line. Here's a link to a page with some sites I've found very useful in finding books, and at the lowest prices, on-line. This took me awhile to come up with these links, so best copy them down fast, because if some idiot goes out of his way to give me grieft about any dead links or something, I'll likely change the URL.

And, while we're on the subject, don't e-mail me, I'll e-mail you. I'm not at all thilled getting e-mail, with a subject line from a thread on rec.woodworking, but nothing saying it is by e-mail only. Stuff like that tends to get discarded without being read - after all, if it has a thread subject line, and nothing saying it is by e-mail only, then it must be an error, and was posted in the thread also. Right?

Damn winter weather. Suppoed do be down in the 60s tonight. LMAO

JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

- =A0Dale Carnegie

Reply to
J T

You got that one right. It's called making an adult decision, and that's becoming more and more rare these days.

Reply to
Guess who

I don't know how many woodworking books were in the library in the bad old days or what was available in run of the mill books stores either but I do know that today there is more than enough in either. I've found the ones at the library to be old and pointed towards what you would like to build rather than wood working techniques. At the book store most of the books are pointed at styles of furniture or again, what you would like to build. I have 10-15 of these kinds of books already and I could have kept on buying those 'til the cows come home and never have found Tage Frid. His name came from someone in this group (thank you) maybe now I won't have to buy another 10-15 books, or hunt down another dozen at the library to figure out how these things were done.

It's a pain in the neck to keep making booklists for newbies, but it is a help to the newbie and save us $$$ we'd rather be spending on wood.

Why not make up a list in the word processing program of your choice and cut & paste the list whenever the question comes back up again? Consider it, (scarey as it may be) an act of kindness.

As for the email senders - nuke 'em!

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

That's definitely the second thing. First thing is to ask people for recommendations and reviews. Especially people with relevant experience who are willing to share their knowledge. Like many newsgroup posters.

J T, your continued obstinacy on this issue is just baffling. What do you care if someone asks a more experienced person for advice?

Ken Muldrew

Thu, Jan 13, 2005, 12:55pm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (firstjois) says: Tage Frid. =A0 His name came from someone in this group

As I've said before, I don't usually buy any book until I've had a chance to thumb thru it personally. I don't care how many people recomment it, just because they like it, doesn't mean I will. Libraries can borrow books, even new ones, if they don't have them. I've seen books by Tage Frid, Charlie Self, Doug Stowe, and other famous woodworking writers, in the used bookstore on several occassions

Why not make up a list in the word processing program of your choice and cut & paste the list whenever the question comes back up again? Consider it, (scarey as it may be) an act of kindness.

That is an excellent idea, and I'm sure that generations of newbies to the group will thank you for volunteering to do that.

JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

- =A0Dale Carnegie

Reply to
J T

Thu, Jan 13, 2005, 7:03pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@ucalgazry.ca (Ken=A0Muldrew) writes: J T, your continued obstinacy on this issue is just baffling. What do you care if someone asks a more experienced person for advice?

I suppose it's just frustration. It's not people asking for recommendations as such, it's more the people who come across as being unable to think for themselves,d make any decisions on their own, and to do any looking on their own. The Gods know there's plenty of those around. I admit there's those that are just plain confused, being I've been confused enough myself at times, I try to cut them some slack. Bit hard to sort them out sometimes. Then there's the ones that seem to lack all self-confidence at all. There's damn-all kinds of things I've never done, but once I sit down and think about it for a few minutes, I know I can do them - not first class, but adequate, then repeating give skill. Different generation I guess.

JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

- =A0Dale Carnegie

Reply to
J T

Why not ? The people who know whether a particular book is good or not are those who've already read it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thu, Jan 13, 2005, 7:56pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com (Andy=A0Dingley) says: Why not ? The people who know whether a particular book is good or not are those who've already read it.

OK, bad choice of words. You can "ask" what books, but final decision rests with the person buying. That's why I usually only buy books I've actually thumbed thru. Rare exceptions to this are books I already know I will like - such as the Discworld series books. I'm willing to ask for recommendations about books, but then will look the book(s) up, in the library, or a bookstore, and only afer I have then looked at the book, decide if I will buy it or not. And, having decided that, I will probably buy it on-line thru one of the links I posted.

JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

- =A0Dale Carnegie

Reply to
J T

Hey JT can't be a bad guy, not if he's a Terry Prachett fan

OK, bad choice of words. You can "ask" what books, but final decision rests with the person buying. That's why I usually only buy books I've actually thumbed thru. Rare exceptions to this are books I already know I will like - such as the Discworld series books. I'm willing to ask for recommendations about books, but then will look the book(s) up, in the library, or a bookstore, and only afer I have then looked at the book, decide if I will buy it or not. And, having decided that, I will probably buy it on-line thru one of the links I posted.

JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

- Dale Carnegie

Reply to
Michael Stanford

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 00:14:20 GMT, "Michael Stanford" calmly ranted:

Nor am I.

Precisely. I found Terry Pratchett totally unreadable while I fell into Niven's novels and ended up reading every single ONE of his books (20+) in the past year and a half and loving every second of it.

Right, at a third the price. I just ordered 3 more used books through Amazon yesterday.

Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LOL - of course, I'd do it if I only knew which books to recommend! Heck, I might do it anyway, please don't be the very first one to complain.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois