INSPIRATION: my router bit storage

Hello, I recently "upgraded" my router bit storage system, and thought I'd share some photos in case anyone's looking for inspiration. My new storage solution started when I found an old 3.5" floppy disk storage drawer in the discard pile at work (I guess saying "OLD 3.5" floppy disk" is redundant...). I thought it looked handy for this application, so I grabbed it. I cut a few pieces of 5/4 butternut (because that's what I had handy) to fit snugly in the drawers, and drilled holes spaced at semi-arbitrary distances. I mounted the drawer under my router table for quick access to bits, but it closes up so dust/chips can't collect on the bits or in empty holes.

unused collet sits nicely in a 3/8" (IIRC) hole, and slotting cutters fit over a 1/4" dowel, as seen in the second photo:
only problem? I can't buy very many more router bits... Right. I mean, soon I'll have to move the least-used bits to an alternate storage location. The photos made me realize I need to work on getting more colorful bits - so far I've been pretty partial to various shades of gray: MLCS (decent quality on a budget + free shipping) and Infinity (great quality IMO at moderate prices). My only CMT bit is an upcut spiral, which doesn't have any orange. Oh, well. Hope this is, well, inspirational... Andy

Reply to
Andy

It sure is! That's a great idea. If I search really hard, I might be able to find some old plastic boxes that hold 8" (now _that's_ old!) floppies. Those would hold the blades for my circular saw really well.

Bas.

Reply to
Bas

DEFINTELY Inspirational! I have several nice teakwood floppy storage drawers that I was considering throwing out or giving to St Vincent DePaul. Your router-bit storage idea has saved them from oblivion.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

Hey - glad I could keep something out of a landfill or burn pile. Another recycling idea - as libraries toss/auction/give away their old card catalogs, those could be good for router bit storage too. Or with some dividers, they could store drill bits, hardware, fasteners, etc. etc. etc... And they already have little slots for labels built right in. Andy

Reply to
Andy