INSPIRATION - HIGH KING'S CHAIR

There's some others, but that's the one I really like. I take it, a Low King's Chair would be shorter. Either way, looks easy enough to make.

JOAT A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence.

- Brander Matthews

Reply to
J T

For some very low value of "easy".

Tell you what: you do the frame, I'll do the seat.

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

Wed, Apr 27, 2005, 6:54pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net (Lee=A0DeRaud) sayeth: For some very low value of "easy".

You saying you don't think it would be easy? I hate it when I have to explain.

Make a front, dupe it for the back. Join them - I'd possibly use drilled dowels, with long bolts; or just dowels fit to holes; or something else. Cut a back, leather or canvas for the seat. You want it purty, you take more time. Like I said, easy.

I wouldn't have responded, but saw this while making a post. So decided to take a look - I'm not back for real.

JOAT A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence.

- Brander Matthews

Reply to
J T

"Hey, look! Four wheels, two seats: instant Ferrari. You want it purty, you take more time. Like I said, easy." Sheesh.

"Not for real", that's for *damn* sure...

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

On Wed 27 Apr 2005 08:21:16p, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3113.bay.webtv.net:

I take it,

No, I think it's the chair the king sits in when he's high. A low king or a sober one would have to sit somewhere else.

Reply to
Dan

How do you propose to make the front? Now if you use plywood, no problem other then that the grain will look all wrong and the edges will suck. Not going to be any easier in solid wood; probably a lamination or the like.

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Wed, Apr 27, 2005, 7:50pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net (Lee=A0DeRaud) mumbled: "Hey, look! Four wheels, two seats: instant Ferrari. You want it purty, you take more time. Like I said, easy." Sheesh.

No, that would be a Ford.

JOAT A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence.

- Brander Matthews

Reply to
J T

Wed, Apr 27, 2005, 11:42pm pmk snipped-for-privacy@mac.com (Paul=A0Kierstead) wonders: How do you propose to make the front? Now if you use plywood, no problem other then that the grain will look all wrong and the edges will suck. Not going to be any easier in solid wood; probably a lamination or the like.

I don't propose to make one, period. If I was, no prob about plywood, because it'd be a "rough use" chair, so wouldn't matter, or I'd paint it - probably yellow. But, if I wanted nice, for company to see and use, I'd probably use solid wood, and make it along the lines of The Peacock Chair. I wouldn't use bolts tho, possibly pegged dowels. If I wanted to spend a lot of time on it, and make it especially strong, I'd probably laminate it. But, like I said, I don't figure it would be especially hard to make one, either way.

JOAT A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence.

- Brander Matthews

Reply to
J T

Are you talking about making a chair that kind of looks like that one from

40 feet away if you squint your eyes and don't look too hard, or are you talking about a real replica, that, standing beside the original, looks enough like it for you to have to examine fine detail to figure out which was the original?

After you've duplicated it get back to us and tell us how many hours you put into it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Don't hold your breath.

This looks like something David Marks would design: making the bending forms for the legs would be a couple-day project all by itself.

("Step 1: Assume a shopfull of tools. Step 2: Go buy more tools. Step 3: And clamps. *Lots* of clamps. Big beefy mothers. Step 4: Did I mention you'd need a buttload of clamps?")

Note that the Peacock Chair that Joat proposed as an alternate design looks quite a bit easier...and the people who actually built a bunch of them described it as "very hard".

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud